Home US Gilgo Beach serial killer suspect Rex Heuermann to be charged with fifth count of murder

Gilgo Beach serial killer suspect Rex Heuermann to be charged with fifth count of murder

0 comment
Alleged Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann to be charged with another murder this week

Suspected Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann will be charged with another murder this week, according to multiple reports.

Heuermann, 60, is expected to appear in court in Riverhead on Thursday for his arraignment, according to News day.

It comes after investigators connected to the Gilgo Beach cases began searching a wooded area in Manorville, New York, in April.

Heuermann has previously been accused of murdering four sex workers.

He was arrested in July and initially charged with killing Melissa Barthelemy, 24, Megan Waterman, 22, and Amber Lynn Costello, 27.

In February, he was also charged with the murder of 25-year-old Maureen Brainard-Barnes.

Alleged Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann to be charged with another murder this week

Heuermann, an architect, pleaded not guilty to the murders.

The searches come after the father of two’s Massapequa home was raided following the discovery of the bodies.

The women were found wrapped in burlap and buried along the remote stretch of Ocean Parkway on Long Island’s south shore more than a decade ago.

Heuermann has pleaded not guilty to all charges and currently remains in prison awaiting trial.

The women’s remains were discovered during the search for Shannan Gilbert, 23, a New Jersey escort who had disappeared in May 2010 after making a frantic 911 call.

The first victim, Melissa Barthelemy, 24, was discovered by Suffolk County Police on December 11, 2010.

Megan Waterman, 22, of Maine, was found two days later.

The first victim, Melissa Barthelemy, 24, was discovered by Suffolk County police on December 11, 2010. The body of Megan Waterman, 22, of Maine, was found two days later.

Heuermann is also accused of killing 27-year-old Amber Lynn Costello.

He was recently charged with the murder of Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25, who completes the 'Gilgo Four'.

Heuermann is also accused of killing Amber Costello (left) and Maureen Brainard-Barnes (right).

His remains were found on the same stretch of coast in December 2011, and it was his body that led police to the discovery of the ‘Gilgo Four’.

No one has ever been charged with Gilbert’s death and police said it may have been accidental, but her family believes she was murdered.

The women were among 11 found on the desolate stretch of coast near Heuermann’s Long Island home between 2010 and 2011.

All of the victims worked as escorts who advertised on Craigslist.

Heuermann was linked to the murders by DNA on the burlap used to transport the body, which was matched to samples taken from a pizza dough and a napkin that were discarded outside his Manhattan architecture studio, police said.

Multiple agencies seeking Manorville location in connection with Gilgo Beach investigation

Multiple agencies seeking Manorville location in connection with Gilgo Beach investigation

1717425006 597 Gilgo Beach serial killer suspect Rex Heuermann to be charged

The women known as the ‘Gilgo Four’ were discovered near Heuermann’s home on Long Island. However, other bodies have been found in the area, including those of sex workers.

The samples showed a 99.96 percent match, according to authorities.

Before conducting DNA testing, police said they were alerted to Heuermann as a possible suspect after a witness linked Heuermann’s Chevrolet Avalanche to Costello’s murder.

The car was then linked to Heuermann’s cell phone records, which allegedly linked him to locations related to the murders.

The indictment alleged that Heuermann had used different disposable phones to contact each of his victims.

Cops also accused Heuermann of using Barthelemy’s phone to make taunting phone calls to his family from the comfort of his office.

Her sister Melissa told how she was bombarded with threatening phone calls from the killer who boasted about the murder and monitored her movements.

Search teams removing items from the basement of Rex Heuermann's home

Search teams removing items from the basement of Rex Heuermann’s home

The larger truck with the red front engine is where they loaded the family's possessions to clean rooms and conduct more searches and the white box truck is a real evidence truck that returns to the crime lab for testing.

The larger truck with the red front engine is where they loaded the family’s possessions to clean rooms and conduct more searches and the white box truck is a real evidence truck that returns to the crime lab for testing.

Last month, state and county police officials arrived at Heuermann’s dilapidated single-family home in Massapequa Park on Long Island.

Officers removed boxes and bags of evidence from the home while forensic and crime lab units spent much of the day at the scene. Officials from the Suffolk County Medical Examiner’s Office also visited.

Spokespeople for the New York State Police and the Suffolk County Police Department referred questions to Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney’s office, which declined to comment.

Last July, police spent nearly two weeks searching the home, located in a suburban town about 40 miles east of Manhattan.

The search in what Tierney has described as a “very messy environment” revealed more than 200 firearms, including dozens stored in a basement vault. Investigators also broke up a wooden deck, used an excavator to excavate the backyard, and scanned for buried objects with specialized equipment.

You may also like