Zinedine Zidane refuses to get involved in talking about his Real Madrid future before commenting ‘I don’t think I’m a disaster for a coach’ to critics of the Frenchman who suggest his success is down to luck.
- Real Madrid is in the fight to win both LaLiga and the Champions League
- Zinedine Zidane could win his fourth European crown in five tries
- However, his contract with the reigning champion will expire in 2022
- Zidane also fueled rumors of a move to Juventus after discussing his old club
- The Frenchman refused to become involved in his future prior to the trip to Getafe
- Real has only 13 senior field players at their disposal for Sunday’s game
Zinedine Zidane has said he is not a ‘disaster of a coach’ in response to a question of whether he was lucky during his management career – and refused to be involved in his future at Real Madrid.
The Frenchman’s contract at Bernabeu expires in the summer of 2022, with 48-year-old Los Blancos piloting Los Blancos to the semi-finals of the Champions League earlier this week at Liverpool’s expense.
Zidane plans to win the European elite competition for the fourth time in the past five seasons.
Zinedine Zidane could secure a second LaLiga Champions League double as Real Madrid boss
However, Zidane did not rule out that he was ever in charge of the former club Juventus
Real are also just one point behind city rival Atletico as they want to defend their LaLiga title – but Zidane discussed his fondness for former club Juventus earlier this month and did not distance himself from talks linking him to a return at one point. In Turin, the Italian giants reportedly see Zidane as their best management option to replace Andrea Pirlo.
Ahead of his side’s trip to Getafe on Sunday, Zidane took a swipe at his critics and said, ‘I’m not looking any further ahead of tomorrow’s game. We concentrate on the daily work.
‘You can have a contract of four or five years and be gone tomorrow or vice versa. You can have a contract that expires and eventually stays.
‘You don’t know anything. If you have said there is a need for Zidane in the past. Well I’m here.
‘I don’t know what will happen in three months or a year. I’m here and we have a game tomorrow. ‘
Zidane also responded to a question whether he felt his spell in charge of the club was marked by luck.
Zidane also admitted he was ‘definitely’ not the best coach – but also said he wasn’t ‘a disaster’
‘Am I lucky? Yes, to be here at this great club, ”he replied. ‘I don’t think I’m a coach disaster. I am certainly not the best either.
‘You may not always do things well, but the most important thing is that you have passion. Then it can go well or badly.
‘It is important to give 100 percent every day and I do, but especially my players.
Ferland Mendy is the latest victim for Zidane, as Real only has 13 senior field players
‘There is a lot of talking here, but that will not change. I’d like to talk to you [the media] more about football than we do, but there seems to be more interest in other things. I know you all love football too! ‘
Real are on their last legs against Getafe, with Zidane only having 13 senior field players at their disposal.
According to him, Ferland Mendy is the last player to be excluded after an injury to his left leg Diario AS
Victor Chust could make his first LaLiga start as Real to put pressure on Atletico Madrid
Mendy joins Raphael Varane, Sergio Ramos, Nacho, Lucas Vazquez, Dani Carvajal and Eden Hazard on the treatment table, while Casemiro is also out after his red card in last weekend’s Clasico win.
Real Madrid Castilla center-back Victor Chust has been called up and looks set to play in a fourth that also includes Eder Militao, Marcelo and Alvaro Odriozola.
The 21-year-old’s only appearance to date in LaLiga also came against Getafe in a 2-0 win in February.