Karl Stefanovic has released the news that a sadistic serial killer who murdered three young women could be released from prison within days.
Paul Denyer was sentenced to three life sentences for the brutal murder of three young women in Frankston, on the outskirts of Melbourne, 30 years ago.
His victims included TAFE student Elizabeth Stevens, 18, Deborah Fream, 22, who had given birth 12 days earlier, and schoolgirl Natalie Russell, who was 17 at the time.
Denyer, now 50 years old, may be days away from freedom after his 30 years of non-parole have ended.
His victims’ families were told last year that Denyer had filed for parole and that his earliest possible release would be this week.
The Today show host repeated the call for Denyer to stay behind bars.
Schoolgirl Natalie Russell was one of three young women Paul Denyer murdered within months in 1993
“Some of this is awkward, but we have to say it,” Stefanovic began.
Paul Denyer walked the streets of Melbourne. Picking random young women and brutally murdering them.
Paul Denyer is sadistic. He is a threat to society. He never showed remorse. He never gave a reason to kill. Three murders, 30 years behind bars.’
It is likely that Denyer could have claimed more lives had he not been arrested weeks after the three murders, police said.
Now he’s eligible for parole. Can you believe it?’ Stefanovic was furious.
“He showed no remorse.”
Elizabeth Stevens, 18, was strangled and had her throat cut by Denyer on her way home from the library on the night of June 11, 1993.
A month later, Deborah Fream, 22, was buying milk to make an omelette for dinner when she was held at gunpoint in her car, kidnapped and strangled by Denyer. She had given birth to her baby boy Jake 12 days earlier.
The last of his victims Natalie Russell, 17, was walking home from school when she was dragged off train tracks, stabbed and hidden in undergrowth on July 30.
Frankston serial killer Paul Denyer (pictured behind bars) could be paroled in days
Presenter Karl Stefanovic (pictured) is furious that the serial killer could be released from prison after 30 years behind bars
Several other women were attacked by Denyer but survived.
Denyer began identifying as a transgender woman behind bars, but has since returned to identifying as Paul.
Federal Secretary Bill Shorten acknowledged that 30 years is not long enough for the families of Denyer’s victims.
“It’s a matter of the state court system, but when you think about it, 30 years sounds like a long time on the one hand,” he told the Today show.
“But for those three women, they are gone forever and their families live with that pain every day.”
Victoria’s confidentiality laws prohibit the Department of Justice and Community Security from confirming an inmate’s eligibility for parole or notifying the public when they have been released.
Gus Worland agreed that everyone should know that Denyer could soon be back on the street.
“Even if he repented, he would have to spend the rest of his life behind bars.”
“People need to know what’s going on because he needs to stay behind bars.”
Denyer’s first murder victim, Elizabeth Stevens (pictured), was strangled and had her throat cut
The families of Paul Denyer’s families are in the dark about whether and when the serial killer will be released
The friends and families of Denyer’s victims are now demanding more information about if and when he will be released.
“He’s just a bad beast,” Brian Russell, Natalie’s father, told Nine News.
‘It’s frightening, it feels like we’re in a tunnel with no end’
His wife Carmen added: “We are not hearing anything.”
“It feels like we did the wrong thing.”