The Queen's former private secretary, Lord Geidt, is viewed as Britain's next US ambassador to battle with Chief Mark, Mr. Ambwill, following the resignation of Sir Kim Darroch
- Christopher Geidt, 57, is on the shortlist to replace Sir Kim Darroch in the US
- Sir Kim offered his resignation this month after the un-diplomatic language he used about Donald Trump in transatlantic cables leaked to the Mail on Sunday
- Cabinet Secretary Sir Mark Sedwill is also considered to be one of three people in line for the job
Lord Christopher Geidt, 57, is perhaps the next UK ambassador to Wahsington
A former private secretary of the queen who has been knighted four times and elevated to nobility may be on his way to adding an even louder title to his name by becoming His Excellency, the British ambassador to the United States.
Christopher Geidt, 57, is on a shortlist of three to replace Sir Kim Darroch in Washington, according to high Whitehall sources in the Sunday Times.
Lord Geidt served the right hand of Her Majesty for seven years, but was dismissed two years ago due to claims about a royal power struggle between Buckingham Palace and Clarence House about the succession.
He became baron in 2017 and holds the rank of Knight Commander and Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, and Knight Commander and Knight Grand Cross of the Bath Order in addition to having an OBE.
The list was compiled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and submitted to number 10, where the definitive name will be chosen and the Queen's approval will be submitted in the coming weeks.
& # 39; The work is from Sir Christopher Geidt if he wants it, & # 39; said a well-placed source, though another said he seemed reluctant to take on the role and said: & I would put money on him to get the job offered – but if he wants to take it it is another matter. & # 39;
The appointment will be an important one in strengthening relations between Britain under his new Prime Minister Boris Johnson and the US led by Donald Trump
The queen, pictured this week, would be saddened by the loss of Geidt as her right hand two years ago and has since appointed him her permanent hold
Cabinet Secretary Sir Mark Sedwill is also on the list, the newspaper reported.
It is said that he & # 39; first refusal & # 39; got to work, but wants to remain at the helm of the civil service until after Brexit.
Sir Kim Darroch resigned earlier this month after a fight over leaked diplomatic cables in which he was critical of Donald Trump.
Cabinet Secretary Sir Mark Sedwill would & # 39; first refuse & # 39; from the plum Washington appointment
The American president called Darroch & # 39; a very stupid man & # 39; after the confidential e-mails came to the fore where the ambassador to the government of Trump & # 39; clumsy and clumsy & # 39; had mentioned.
Boris Johnson then remarkably enough failed Sir Kim in a public hustings.
Geidt, 57, a former army officer and diplomat, had been the Queen's most trusted assistant for 10 years.
He resigned in July 2017 amid reports of tensions between Buckingham Palace and Clarence House about the transition of power from the Queen to the Prince of Wales.
The queen, 93, was said to be saddened by the loss of her closest assistant, and Geidt was disappointed that the monarch had not supported him, the newspaper said.
Earlier this year, the Queen appointed Geidt as her watchman. The role has seen him again by her side help with ceremonial tasks.
. [TagsToTranslate] Dailymail