Sunrise hosts are stunned after seeing schoolchildren jump over the border and tell two sisters apart
Sunrise presenters Natalie Barr and David Koch are stunned after watching schoolchildren jump across the border while separating two heartbroken sisters.
Susan Sice, 72, was completing a four-hour work trip just nine kilometers across the border to New South Wales when border rules suddenly changed.
The pensioner said she received a text from Queensland Health informing her of the hard border change, but explained that she never checks her phone while she is at work.
When the 72-year-old tried to drive home to the Sunshine State, she was turned away by authorities who took photos of her driver’s license and vehicle.
Police informed the stranded Queenslander that she would need shelter for two weeks, which could increase to four if she is in isolation.
During the emotional interview filmed on the Queensland-NSW border, Sunrise hosts were shocked to see schoolchildren leaping over the barrier separating the states.
Current Queensland rules allow essential workers’ children to cross the border to attend school.
Sunrise presenters Nat Barr and David Koch were stunned during an interview with two older sisters driven apart by Queensland’s hard border
“Hold on, there are people behind you jumping the fence,” David Koch said.
‘They’re jumping over the Berlin Wall, kids are going to school and your sister can’t go home. She only went in nine kilometers.’
‘Oh my God. Is that what people do?” Natalie Barr responded.
Susan’s devastated sister Sandi told the shocked breakfast host that because her sister has been identified by the police, she can’t just jump over the fence.
“She just wants to drive home. They won’t let her in. They expect you to fly in and quarantine. She’s here for God’s sake,’ she said.
Ms. Sice has been forced to check into a caravan park and spend $600 a week on temporary accommodation – money the retiree doesn’t have.
Sandi has tried to apply for a waiver due to her sister’s deteriorating mental health, but says she has heard nothing back.
During the interview with the sisters, schoolchildren were seen jumping over the barrier separating NSW and Queensland. The children of essential workers are allowed to cross to school
“She can’t eat, can’t sleep, feels totally let down by the Queensland government,” she said.
“They don’t care, she has pets in the house, she was 10 minutes from the border for half a day’s work and she can’t go home. It’s an absolute disgrace.’
David Koch then pointed to the government’s hypocrisy to allow NRL WAGs and officials to arrive in Queensland while residents of the state were left stranded on the highway.
“You have WAGS up, grand finals, to expect her to fly in and go into quarantine and kids jumping over the fence to go to school just shows the hypocrisy and ridiculousness of it,” he said.
Ms Sice added that she had seen adults jumping over the fence and crossing the border while remaining isolated from her loved ones.
Retired Susan Sice (left) is stuck in Queensland, while sister Sandi (right) is in NSW
Last week, the QLD Premier (pictured) announced that the hotel quarantine program for arrivals from Covid hotspots would be suspended until September 8, but has since reversed the decision
It comes at a time when Queensland Prime Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk appears to have come back on hiatus from the state’s hotel quarantine program, reopening it from this Saturday – but only 50 families are allowed to return at this stage.
From Saturday, residents of Queensland can begin to return from interstate hotspots to hotel quarantine in Queensland,” she told the state parliament.
The resumption of the hotel quarantine program is four days ahead of schedule.
Last week Ms Palasazczuk announced that the hotel quarantine program for arrivals from Covid hotspots NSW, Victoria and the ACT would be suspended until Wednesday, September 8, as the number of people returning or moving to the state had overwhelmed the system.
“The number in our quarantine hotels has only fallen slightly, so we can offer places to 50 to start with, but we will add more places as rooms become available,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
In a press release following the announcement, Ms Palaszczuk said officials would contact “approved” applicants.
From next Monday, September 6, the application process will reopen for those wishing to relocate to Queensland, as well as returning Queenslanders.
Queensland Prime Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk announced that residents of Queensland will be able to return from interstate hotspots to hotel quarantine from Saturday (pictured, authorities stop cars in Coolangatta near the QLD border)
From next Monday, September 6, the application process will reopen for those wishing to relocate to Queensland, as well as returning Queenslanders (pictured, authorities are stopping cars in Coolangatta near the QLD border)
“However, those wishing to relocate will have to prove they are genuine, either with proof of employment or a change of residence status.”
Queensland residents were quick to dismiss the decision as a ‘double standard’, preferring the needs of the NRL over residents of the state who are currently unable to travel home to isolate because of the break in the hotel quarantine.
Ms Palaszczuk was forced to defend the decision in state parliament on Tuesday when opposition leader David Crisafulli asked her at Question Time why she had “privileged a sporting entourage over ordinary Queensland residents”.
The Prime Minister again said the NRL schemes were ‘outside’ the hotel quarantine program and were not considered part of the cap on numbers in hotels.
Queensland announced no new cases of Covid community transmission on Wednesday, with one case detected abroad in hotel quarantine.