Ralph Hasenhuttl is SITUATED by Southampton after being thrashed 4-1 at home by Newcastle to leave the club languishing in the relegation zone… with Luton’s Nathan Jones, the bookmakers’ favorite to replace him
- Southampton sack Ralph Hasenhuttl after Newcastle defeat
- The Saints were hammered 4-1 at St Mary’s on Sunday and are in the bottom three
- They have only won three times all season and lost eight out of fourteen games
Ralph Hasenhuttl has been sacked as Southampton manager after their 4-1 defeat to Newcastle on Sunday.
The Saints languish in the relegation zone in 18th place after having won just once in their last nine games – and just three times all season.
Hasenhuttl has been in charge of the club since December 2018, when he succeeded Mark Hughes.
Southampton announced that first team assistant Richard Kitzbichler had also left.
Luton boss Nathan Jones has emerged as the early frontrunner for the job, according to bookmakers, with the 49-year-old 1/5 with Bet Victor.
Ralph Hassenhuttl has been sacked as Southampton manager after a poor start to the season.
Southampton have won just three of their 14 league games so far this Premier League season
In a statement, the club said: “Hasenhüttl, who was appointed in December 2018, is leaving because he has made significant contributions to the club, oversaw some memorable achievements and also played a key role in the development of our club infrastructure, identity and playing team. . However, we believe that now is an opportune time to make a change.
“Everyone involved with the club would like to sincerely thank Ralph for all his efforts, as well as the unwavering dedication he has shown throughout his time as manager.
First team leader Coach Rubén Sellés will take over the interim lead for our game on Wednesday evening. The club will announce a permanent replacement in due course.’
Sportsmail had reported on Sunday that after the defeat to Newcaslte, Hasenhuttl’s time at the club was about to end.
His position at the club was on the smaller side after an eighth loss in 14 Premier League games, leaving him in the bottom three.
The Saints hierarchy was faced with the dilemma of whether to formally drop the ax before or during the World Cup, but they decided to make the decision on Monday.
On Sunday night, he seemed almost resigned to his fate after the defeat to Eddie Howe’s high-flying side. When asked directly whether he was afraid of being fired, he said: “I’ve made a lot of decisions since I’ve been here, but I don’t have to make these.”
More tellingly, when asked if the 55-year-old could see a way out of the slump, he added, “No…. Not at the moment.”
The Austrian admitted on Sunday that he currently sees no way out of his team’s poor competition form
When Hasenhuttl arrived in 2018, Southampton was in 18th place before Hasenhuttl got them to safety that season.
In the three subsequent campaigns, Southampton finished 11th, 15th and 15th, but they have taken a gloomy shape in recent months.
Since March earlier this year, he has amassed just 17 points from 26 games, with the South Coast team conceding a whopping 54 goals in that period.