Advertisements
Rat lungworm or anti-ostrongyliasis (photo) is a parasite that can be transmitted to humans if they eat raw snails or snails. Three other 2018 cases have been confirmed in Hawaii

Three people contracted a lungworm disease in rats during a visit to Hawaii, state health officials reported Tuesday.

Advertisements

The grotesquely mentioned disease is the result of a parasitic infection that occurs in people after they have taken animals or food that contains the roundworm.

Known in the scientific community as angiostrongyliasis, rat lungworm can cause great damage to the human digestive system and nervous system, even causing paralysis.

People tend to get it after eating unclean snails – often in battle.

The three newly confirmed cases in Hawaii bring the total of the state to 10 for 2018, officials said in a statement.

Rat lungworm or anti-ostrongyliasis (photo) is a parasite that can be transmitted to humans if they eat raw snails or snails. Three other 2018 cases have been confirmed in Hawaii

Rat lungworm or anti-ostrongyliasis (photo) is a parasite that can be transmitted to humans if they eat raw snails or snails. Three other 2018 cases have been confirmed in Hawaii

Advertisements

While exploring the lush lands of the Hawaiian Islands, one may be tempted to pick a pineapple or papaya, or even a wild & # 39; escargot & # 39 ;.

But rat lungworm disease should be reason enough to resist temptation. Make sure you wash fruit or vegetables before you enjoy it.

One traveler who fell ill admitted that he grazed & # 39; during their trip to Hawaii, and while it is unclear what the exact source of their illness was, he or she may have prevented the parasite from eating unwashed and wildly picked food.

While snacking on the land in Hawaii, the person may have inadvertently eaten some or all of a sickly snail.

The angiostrongyliasis parasite only preys on rats, but once infected, it can cause a series of events that can lead to human infection.

Feces from infected rats can contain rat larvae larvae.

Snails and snails – delicacies in some parts of the world – can eat the excrement of the rat, including the larvae of the lungworm, and become infected.

Advertisements

The infected snails can then crawl into fruit, vegetables or salads and contaminate these foods.

And people can end up eating the nightmarish parasite.

Or, people can swallow a snail or a snail, raw, on its own – usually on a daredevil.

At that time, the parasite can infect a new human host.

It attacks the spinal cord or the intestines.

Advertisements

Some people have no symptoms or symptoms that are barely detectable, while others may have vomiting, nausea or diarrhea and even temporarily paralyze. In rare cases, infected people can develop dangerous brain swelling or meningitis.

It is notorious that Sam Ballard died last year after being paralyzed by the parasite for eight years and in a coma.

The more recent victims were a bit more lucky.

One of the other two infected people confirmed that they ate a snail on a daredog, according to the Ministry of Health press release, but did not go to the hospital. It is unclear when or how it was confirmed that he or she had rat lungworm disease.

The third infected person fell ill in February and had to be hospitalized. Researchers' best estimate of how the visitor was infected was that they had picked up the parasite by & # 39; homemade salads & # 39; to eat.

Advertisements

With 10 cases in the span of a year, Hawaiian officials beg tourists to look at what they eat.

& # 39; It is important that we ensure that our visitors know what precautions to take to prevent lungworm disease in rats, which can have serious long-term consequences & # 39 ;, said Bruce Anderson, Hawaii Health Director.

& # 39; Getting information to visitors about the disease is just as important as raising awareness among our residents. & # 39;

. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) health