The vice president and secretary of state of US President Donald Trump said they did not write an anonymous column in the New York Times that stated that many senior officials are part of a "silent resistance" within the administration.
The opinion column, published on Wednesday, has led the Republican president to criticize the anonymous writer and the media, and has fueled accusations by critics that Trump was unstable and unfit for the presidency.
Many senior administration officials have been working from within to thwart parts of their agenda to protect the country from its worst impulses, the Trump anonymous official wrote.
The op-ed provoked a guessing game in Washington about whether the author worked within the White House or a government agency, and raised questions about whether other officials can stand, retire or be fired.
The Secretary of State of the United States, Mike Pompeo, who previously served as director of the CIA of Trump, said that he was not the author and criticized the Times for publishing the piece.
"It's not mine," Pompeo told reporters during a trip to New Delhi, India.
"If necessary … they should not have chosen to take a word of disgruntled and misleading actor for nothing and put it in their newspaper."
A spokesman for US Vice President Mike Pence's office also criticized the Times and said that Pence does not write anonymous opinion columns.
"The Vice President puts his name on his Op-Eds. The New York Times should be ashamed and the person who wrote the counterfeit, illogical and ruthless opinion piece, our office is above such amateur acts," said the spokesman. Pence, Jarrod Agen. On twitter.
Trump called the anonymous writer "ruthless" on Wednesday and raised the specter of betrayal, and urged the Times to identify the person before the government for reasons of national security.
"Deep State and Left, and their vehicle, Fake News Media, are going crazy, and they do not know what to do," he said in a Twitter post early Thursday morning.
"I'm running out of the swamp, and the swamp is trying to defend itself, do not worry, let's win!" he said before on Twitter.
The official wrote: "Given the instability that many witnessed, there were early murmurs within the cabinet when invoking the 25th Amendment", but decided not to do so to avoid a constitutional crisis.
The comment will likely resurrect conversations among some Democrats about the possible prosecution of the president should they take control of the US House of Representatives in the November elections.
The Times said it kept the author's name secret because the official's work would be compromised by its disclosure, calling it a rare step.