Home Life Style Newborn Baby Dies After Suffering Grease Burns; Parents Waited 2 Weeks To Get Medical Help

Newborn Baby Dies After Suffering Grease Burns; Parents Waited 2 Weeks To Get Medical Help

0 comment
Newborn Baby Dies After Suffering Grease Burns; Parents Waited 2 Weeks To Get Medical Help

Over the weekend, a distressing incident occurred in West Brighton when a one-month-old boy was discovered unconscious and later pronounced dead. Authorities are currently awaiting the results of an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.

Meanwhile, the baby’s parents, Jenice Lightfoot, 36, and Leonard Thompson, 38, face endangerment charges following allegations that the baby had previously suffered severe burns that were not treated. The tragic discovery was made early Saturday morning around 6:45 a.m. at 240 Broadway, located in West Brighton Houses, a public housing development managed by the New York City Housing Authority, according to court documents obtained by PHOTO 11.

Emergency medical services took the baby to Richmond University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead less than an hour later, at 7:35 a.m. According to a criminal complaintThe couple reported to police that the baby had been accidentally burned on April 11 during an incident while cooking.

The baby was allegedly in Thompson’s arms when another child in the house caused an accident in the kitchen that resulted in hot grease causing severe burns to the baby’s left arm. Despite the severity of the injuries, which hospital staff identified as second- or third-degree burns, the couple allegedly did not seek professional medical attention until April 27, a delay of more than two weeks.

Thompson reportedly attempted to treat the baby’s injuries at home, explaining to police that he used medication and gauze, but avoided taking the child to the hospital for fear that home treatment would be inadequate. She rationalized that she believed the burns could be treated without professional medical intervention.

Lightfoot, on the other hand, expressed a different concern to authorities. He feared that reporting injuries or seeking medical help could lead to his son being taken away by authorities. This fear reportedly prevented him from seeking necessary medical attention immediately after the incident, he said. Daily News.

The couple’s failure to obtain timely medical attention for severe burns led to their arrest on charges of reckless endangerment and acting in a manner injurious to a child. Both pleaded not guilty to the charges. The seriousness of the case is reflected in the bail set by the court: $300,000/$100,000 cash for Thompson and $150,000/$50,000 cash for Lightfoot. Both defendants are currently being held at Rikers Island.

The case will continue in Criminal Court this Thursday, where more details will likely emerge. The ongoing investigation by police, along with pending autopsy results, will be crucial in determining the full circumstances surrounding the baby’s tragic death and whether additional charges are warranted based on the autopsy findings.

You may also like