Manchester City LOSES appeal to prevent details of Financial Fair Play investigation from being released
Manchester City LOSS call to prevent details of Premier League’s Financial Fair Play investigation from being released after investigation opened in 2019 over Der Spiegel allegations of financial irregularities
- The Premier League opened an investigation into Manchester City in 2019
- UEFA banned City from Champions League after separate investigation
- That verdict was rejected by the Court of Arbitration for Sport last year
- City’s bid for confidentiality was rejected by the Court of Appeal on Tuesday
Manchester City have lost an appeal to prevent details of the Premier League’s Financial Fair Play investigation from coming out.
The league opened an investigation into City two and a half years ago after allegations of financial irregularities were published in the German magazine Der Spiegel.
UEFA and the Premier League underwent separate investigation, with the former city of City banned from the Champions League for two seasons.
Manchester City have lost appeal to prevent details of Premier League’s Financial Fair Play investigation from coming out
UEFA banned City from the Champions League for two seasons after undergoing a separate investigation before that decision was rejected by CAS last year
That verdict was passed by the Court of Arbitration for Sport last year, while a fine of 30 million euros was also reduced to 10 million euros for lack of cooperation.
However, the Premier League investigation has continued. City objected to the jurisdiction of the commission appointed in 2019 to hear the case, demanding impartiality.
The league’s rules regarding disciplinary tribunals have since changed and they backed City’s request for confidentiality, which was rejected by the Court of Appeals in a decision published on Tuesday.
City was initially opposed to releasing specific information to the league’s committee. It is clear that those relevant documents had probably already been handed over to the Premier League earlier this year.
City was initially opposed to releasing specific information to the league’s committee
A statement from Manchester City said: “We respect the decision of the Court of Appeal with regard to the arbitration case. This decision relates to ongoing proceedings and of course we cannot comment until these proceedings have been completed.’
Lord Justice Males said in the verdict: “The club has made every effort to emphasize to us that ‘the arbitration proceeding is an ongoing and confidential investigation and a disciplinary proceeding which is still in its early stages’, and that it is possible is that no charges will ever be brought against it.
“While that may be true, it seems to me that this is at least a factor in favor of publication.
“This is an investigation that began in December 2018. It is surprising and a matter of legitimate public concern that after two and a half years so little progress has been made – during which, it should be noted, the club have been crowned champions of the Premier League twice.”