A luxury Mexican resort has been forced to temporarily close after an American couple was found dead in their hotel room last week.
Abby Lutz, 28, and her health-addicted boyfriend John Heathco, 41, were suspected of carbon monoxide poisoning before they were discovered unresponsive at the five-star $780-a-night Rancho Pescadero hotel near from Cabo San Lucas.
The lavish retreat has now temporarily closed as investigations into the tragedy continue.
“Our top priority is the safety and well-being of guests and colleagues and the property will not resume normal operations until our investigation is complete,” a spokesperson for Hyatt, the hotel owner, wrote. , in a statement to CBS Los Angeles.
The company had previously denied claims that the tragedy was linked to “problems with the hotel’s infrastructure or facilities”.
It comes after paramedics who first entered the room revealed they immediately felt dizzy and feared they would die from the toxic fumes.
Abby Lutz, 28, and John Heathco, 40, were discovered unresponsive in their hotel room last week
Autopsies revealed that Lutz and Heathco died of “undetermined substance intoxication”, and local police initially suspected the cause of death was gas inhalation.
The pair were discovered about ten hours after their deaths, with Heathco found in the shower and Lutz in bed.
Prosecutors said there were no signs of abuse, but Lutz’s family revealed that the night before they died, the couple were struck down by a mysterious illness.
They told CBS News they spent a night in a Mexican hospital with suspected food poisoning and were treated for dehydration.
“She said it was the sickest she had ever been,” Lutz’s half-sister Gabby Slate said.
“She texted her dad and said ‘goodnight I love you’ like she always does and that’s the last we heard from her,” the beauty added. Lutz’s mother, Racquel Chiappini-Lutz.
The couple were staying at the $780-a-night Rancho Pescadero hotel in El Pescadero, near Cabo San Lucas
Lutz’s family revealed that the couple had been hospitalized with suspected food poisoning and dehydration in the days before their surprise death
Her family, who are now raising money to bring Abby’s body home, said in a statement: ‘On a beautiful trip to Mexico, Abby and her boyfriend thought they had food poisoning and went to the hospital for treatment.
“We received a phone call saying they passed away peacefully in their hotel room in their sleep.
“We were told this was due to poor ventilation at the resort and could be carbon monoxide poisoning,” reads a GoFundMe page created by the family.
The toxic environment behind the sudden deaths was detailed by paramedic Fernando Valencia, who was one of the first to enter the room alongside his sister.
He said ABC News they both immediately felt dizzy from the fumes, and it was so dangerous they feared they would die.
“My partner and I started to feel dizzy and walked out. We got out of the room as soon as possible and I was scared for my partner because my first thought in mind was we were going to die? he said.
“It was one of the worst experiences I’ve had,” he added.
Paramedics Fernando Valencia and his sister (pictured) were among the first two to enter the hotel room, which they said was so toxic they feared for their lives
Abby’s family are now raising funds to bring her remains home and pay for her funeral
The Rancho Pescadero Hotel is located in the village of El Pescadero, by the Pacific Ocean on the Baja California Peninsula.
The boutique hotel’s closure comes after he disputed suggestions there may have been a gas leak, saying in a statement he does not believe the cause of death was related to issues with hotel infrastructure or facilities, including carbon monoxide or a gas of any kind.’
In a statement, her sister told DailyMail.com: “We are shocked and saddened to learn of the passing of our beloved Abby. Abby had an adventurous spirit and a wonderfully kind heart.
“She loved to travel, see new places and share her zeal for life with those around her. We ask for your thoughts and prayers for our family during this very difficult time.
There have been several other cases of tourists dying in hotel rooms due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
In June last year, a Florida couple died while vacationing at a Sandals resort in the Bahamas.
In November, three more tourists died while staying in a rented apartment in Mexico City. Their cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning.