A PG diploma in Canada is considered equivalent to a Master’s degree. Depending on the universities, the PG diploma & Master’s course duration ranges from one to two years. The course duration is divided into two or four semesters.
PG Diploma in Canada costs 12,000 CAD to 26,000 CAD, compared to 20,000 CAD to 30,000 CAD for Masters in Canada. Every year, more than 70% of the students enrolled in postgraduate diploma programs in Canada.
PG Diploma in Canada courses are getting more popular because of their duration and fees. It is a fast-track course, and the fees are very much affordable and manageable. But Master’s are more theoretical and are for those who want in-depth knowledge about the subject.
The average salaries after Post Graduate Diploma in Canada is between 40,000 to 90,000 CAD. After Master’s, it is 100,000 to 190,000 CAD. Now, the salaries vary with areas of study.
Here, we will share information about both these courses to help you decide.
Why study for a PG Diploma in Canada?
The reasons to study PG Diploma in Canada are discussed below:
- A PG diploma course in Canada is mostly one year, or it can be a maximum of two years. It is a gateway for students who want to pursue PG courses in Canadian universities or students who want to start their careers after the diploma course. The diploma courses are job oriented and practical-based.
- PG Diploma courses allow interning with various companies and institutes. The candidates’ main concerns while choosing a program are affordable study options, career-oriented curriculum, internships, and employment. A PG diploma course could be affordable for the candidates. In comparison to regular Master’s degree courses, PG Diploma in Canada is cheaper.
- Canadian Universities are regarded for their high academic standards. The government supports research in prominent fields like telecommunications, agriculture, medicine, computer science technology, and environmental science.
- Canadian Universities maintain an excellent reputation or relationships with employers. Since the curriculum of the PG Diploma course is more industry-oriented, most of the students are employed within six months of the completion of the course. It will help them to find a job and also will be able to gain a residential permit to settle in Canada.
- PG Diploma in Canada courses accept three years of an undergraduate degree. The entry requirements of PG Diploma courses are a bit lower than an MS course in Canada.
- Getting a visa in Canada is easier than in other countries like the USA, the US, Germany, etc. The student’s visa system of Canada provides greater overall accountability.
- Many PG diploma courses in Canada will also offer part-time work options to the aspirants, giving them a chance to earn extra money while pursuing their degrees. Students who have enrolled for a degree, diploma, or certificate are granted a work permit with a maximum of 20 hours of work per week, and the students can work 40 hours a week during vacations.
- Postgraduate diploma courses adopt a practical approach, whereas the Master’s course is more about theoretical knowledge. Several PG diploma programs offered by Canadian universities may also include work internships called a co-op program. This co-op program aims to provide real-time industry experience to the candidates.
- After PG diploma courses in Canada, the average salary is between 40,000 – 90,000 CAD.
Top job-oriented PG Diploma in Canada courses
The top job-oriented PG Diploma in Canada courses are mentioned in the below table:
|Computer Science and Information Technology||Renewable Energy and Earth Science|
|Accounting and Finance||Agricultural Science and Forestry|
|Business Administration||Biosciences, Medicine, and Healthcare|
|Engineering- Aerospace, Electrical, Civil, Software||Actuarial Science and Big Data Analytics|
|Education, Teaching, and Career Counselling||Nursing|
|Engineering Management (Electrical, Construction, IT)||Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations|
PG Diploma in Canada: Eligibility and Duration
The minimum eligibility for the PG Diploma in Canada is based on the following points:
- Candidates need to possess a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum percentage of 65% and above. For admission in a few diploma courses, particularly the courses related to Business Administration and Project Management, students need to have one or two years’ work experience.
- A primary English proficiency score of 6.5 on the IELTS is also required for PG Diploma Courses in Canada. For Nursing diploma courses, the required IELTS score will be 7.
PG Diploma in Canada: Fees Structure
For international students, the average tuition fees in 2018 and 2019 were 27,159 CAD per year. In a well-known institute, the fee structure can cost in the range of 20,000- 35,000 CAD per year.
The cost of a one-year PG diploma in Canada will come around 10,000 to 15,000 CAD, whereas the cost of a two-year diploma will come around 13,000-20,000 CAD. However, the tuition fees vary depending upon different colleges and universities.
Masters in Canada
For a postgraduate degree and high-quality experience, studying in Canada has become another popular option for students. The Master’s program is a 1-2 years course, which is a mixture of thesis and research work. After pursuing Masters, students prepare themselves for higher-level or doctoral degrees.
Why study for a Masters in Canada
The reason to study Masters in Canada are highlighted in the below points:
- World-class Universities: The Universities of Canada have excellent faculty and educational facilities. Out of the top 200 universities globally, seven of them are Canadian Universities according to Qs world Ranking 2020.
- Affordability: Studying in Canada is very much affordable compared to the countries of the United States and the United Kingdom. The cost of the study is the lowest in comparison to both countries.
- Specialized courses: There are a wide variety of specializations in the Master’s course, which includes Medicine, Information Technology, Management, Nursing, Architecture, Aviation, Space studies, etc. Students can choose any of the specializations according to their interests and abilities.
- Easy admission and Visa process: The admission and visa process is very easy and simple in Canada. After completion of the course, students are allowed work permits. For students who are looking for PR can apply for a post-graduation work permit. The study visa for a Master’s degree is easy to acquire.
- Scholarship: The nation offers several scholarships to international students.
- Job opportunities: After completing the course, a lot of job opportunities are there. Students can move up their career with good salary packages. The average salary is 100,000 to 190,000 CAD.
- Work-while studying: International students can have part-time jobs while continuing the course. This will help not only in their living expenses but will also gain work experience.
- Friendly Atmosphere and Quality of life: The atmosphere for studying in Canada is very friendly and very secure and safe. Students can easily adjust to the environment. The standard of living is also extremely high. Because of the friendly atmosphere, Canada is a perfect place to study.
Top or Popular Courses of Masters in Canada
The Top or Popular Courses of Masters in Canada are mentioned in the below points:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA).
- Software Engineering.
- Computer Science.
Eligibility of Masters in Canada
For admission to the Master’s program, students have to fulfill the minimum eligibility requirements. The following eligibility criteria are mentioned in the below points:
- The minimum academic qualification is to qualify for four years of Bachelor degree with a minimum of 3.0-4.0, equivalent to 65-70% in Indian standards.
- Most of the universities accept GMAT/ GRE scores.
- For admission in some courses like MS in Business Management, Finance, Business Analytics, aspirants must need 1- 3 years of work experience.
- For English Language Proficiency, the minimum requirement for TOEFL is 90+ and IELTS is 6.5-7.0.
Masters in Canada: Fee Structure
A Master’s in Canada’s tuition fees will come in the range of 20,000-30,000 CAD annually. The fee structure varies from University to University. It depends on factors like the province, program, university, etc.
PG Diploma in Canada Vs. Master Degree in Canada
A PG diploma in Canada is shorter, job-oriented, and a fast-track course than a Master’s degree. Both the courses are equivalent in quality. A PG Diploma in Canada is 120 credits, whereas a Master’s degree is 180 credits.
Moreover, the fee structure of the PG Diploma course is less than a Master’s degree. But, Master’s graduates are eligible for Ph.D. courses. But all PG diploma courses may not be eligible for a Ph.D. So, it all depends on the aim of a student.
The average salary after MS in Canada is definitely higher but requires much tougher eligibility rules than post graduate diploma courses. Lastly, it can be said that the PG diploma in Canada is perfect for students who are looking for a quick job by completing a degree within a short time.