Braces are increasingly becoming popular for those who wish to have well-aligned teeth. Getting them is a big step one has decided to take in their life as it will change their way of life for a while, leaving an impact that may last a lifetime. Getting used to the braces will require a lot of practice, not only for kids but also for adults.
The life with braces does not change a lot compared to how it usually is; but without proper preparation, the patient might have some hard times getting used to them.
Your orthodontists will take you through the nitty-gritty of how to take good care of your teeth after getting braces, but how do you prepare to receive them? Take a look at our comprehensive guide to find all the answers:
A week (a few days) before the procedure
A dentist will most often recommend you to an orthodontist who will help in fitting the braces. If your dentist does not double up as an orthodontist, you may have to look for one who is very qualified. If you have settled on getting them, here are some of the things you need to do a week before the D-day:
i. Conduct your research
You should understand that there are many types of braces available in the market currently. Before you head to the orthodontist’s, you should first research on the different types of braces available, which dental clinic offers them, and their pricing. At this time, metallic braces are not the only type of braces available. Some of the other popular braces you can get include:
- Ceramic braces: They are made from ceramic and use the same concept as metallic braces. The only difference is that the brackets are made in the same color as the patient’s teeth.
- Lingual braces: These work more or less like the traditional types, only that their brackets are found on the lingual parts of the mouth and not at the front. They are virtually invisible from lookers who are not very keen.
- Self-ligating braces: Instead of making use of rubber bands, self-ligating braces make use of little metal doors that are used in holding the brackets in place. These braces come in handy whenever one wishes to speed up the first phase of aligning teeth.
- Clear or invisible braces: Going by a common brand name of Invisalign, clear braces are gaining a lot of popularity over the years. They are clear, and it is challenging for anyone else to notice them. Unlike the other types of braces, they can be taken out at any moment by the wearer. These types of braces can be found in some affordable dental in three locations.
ii. Stock up on soft foods
For a few days after receiving braces, one has to change their diet to soft and non-sticky food. To avoid the last-minute rush, it is best to stock up on the food such as fruits, yogurt, smoothies, etc.
iii. Understand how the procedure will be performed
To avoid the element of surprise, it is paramount that you researched how the fitting process is. If you have any questions, it is advisable to contact your dentist early enough.
iv. Consider your calendar
Clear your calendar if there will be any strenuous activities that you may have to take part in after the procedure. Such activities that involve a lot of talking or eating may affect the functioning of the braces.
The day to get braces
If getting braces fitted for the first time, you might feel a bit nervous. Here are some of the things to do on the D-day:
- Thoroughly clean your teeth for the cement to stick to your teeth right away
- Calm your nerves and focus on the results
Experience the best services and affordable dental in three locations. Get the smile you deserve today.