WhatsNew2Day
Latest News And Breaking Headlines

Health chief warns that Australia is facing a “pandemic” of the corona virus

Health chief warns that Australia is facing a “pandemic” of the corona virus – but the government is telling people not to wear masks

  • Victoria’s health chief said the state is preparing for a coronavirus pandemic
  • Dr. Brett Sutton urged Australians to stay alert, saying he “plans for the worst”
  • Statement comes after Australia’s Chief Medical Officer has dismissed concerns
  • Dr. Brendan Murphy said earlier that people should not wear protective masks
  • Nearly 78,000 people worldwide are infected in 29 countries

Despite the calm message from its federal counterpart, Victoria’s chief physician braces himself for a “very likely, if not inevitable,” COVID-19 world pandemic.

Dr. Brett Sutton went to Twitter on Sunday to say that the state had been working on his pandemic preparedness for weeks.

Dr. Brendan Murphy, Australia’s chief physician, dismissed the nation’s concern about the China-based outbreak and asked people not to wear masks and do their normal business.

Mr Sutton has chosen a more urgent line.

Victoria chief medical officer said the state was preparing for a coronavirus pandemic - after the federal government had thrown away concerns and urged people not to wear protective masks. On the photo: people with masks at Brisbane airport

Victoria chief medical officer said the state was preparing for a coronavirus pandemic – after the federal government had thrown away concerns and urged people not to wear protective masks. On the photo: people with masks at Brisbane airport

Mr. Sutton said Sunday that he was “hoping for the best and planning for the worst,” a message to stay alert.

“Australia definitely has world-class healthcare, but even the best healthcare in the world is challenged during pandemics,” he wrote.

“So everyone must work together to ensure that our services can function as effectively as possible in the event of a pandemic.”

After outbreaks in Japan and South Korea raised the alarm about whether the World Health Organization can explain a global pandemic, Dr. Reassure Sutton Victorians.

Dr. Brendan Murphy (far right), chief medical officer of Australia, dismissed the nation's worries about the outbreak in China and asked people not to wear masks and do their normal business.

Dr. Brendan Murphy (far right), chief medical officer of Australia, dismissed the nation's worries about the outbreak in China and asked people not to wear masks and do their normal business.

Dr. Brendan Murphy (far right), chief medical officer of Australia, dismissed the nation’s worries about the outbreak in China and asked people not to wear masks and do their normal business.

‘Victoria and Australia, however, remain fully in containment mode and identify every possible case; isolate those who are contagious and quarantine contacts, “he said.

“Regardless of international developments, this gives us all the time and space to plan and prepare.”

Nearly 78,000 people worldwide are infected in 29 countries.

The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Australia is 23, after the confirmation of seven positive cases in the group of 164 Diamond Princess cruise ship evacuees.

This includes 10 people who have recovered from the disease.

AUSTRALIA WITH THE CORONAVIRUS

NEW SOUTH WALES: 4

January 25

  • Three men, 43, 53 and 35 years old who had recently traveled to China, have confirmed that they have contracted the disease.
  • Two flew in from Wuhan, while the other arrived in Sydney from Shenzhen, South China.
  • They are treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital and are in a stable condition.

January 27

  • A 21-year-old woman is identified as the fourth person who tested positive for the disease in NSW.
  • The woman, a student at UNSW, flew on flight MU749 to Sydney International Airport on January 23 and presented 24 hours later to the emergency department after developing flu-like symptoms.
  • She is treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital.

VICTORIA: 6

January 25

  • A Chinese citizen aged fifty will be the first confirmed case of the corona virus in Australia.
  • The man flew from Wuhan via Guangzhou to Melbourne on January 19 on the Southern Southern flight CZ321.
  • He is now in quarantine at the Monash Hospital in Clayton in the east of Melbourne.

January 29

  • A Victorian man in his sixties is diagnosed with the corona virus.
  • He became unwell on January 23 – two days after his return from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak.
  • The man was confirmed as positive on January 29 and was subsequently seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Center. He was rated good enough to stay at home.

January 30

  • A woman in her forties has a corona virus.
  • She was visiting from China and mainly spent time with her family.
  • She is being treated at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

February 1

  • A woman in her twenties in Melbourne appears to have the virus

February 22

  • Two passengers left positively from the Diamond Princess cruise ship test

QUEEN COUNTRY: 5

January 29

  • Queensland confirms its first case after a 44-year-old Chinese subject was diagnosed with the virus.
  • He is being treated at the Gold Coast University Hospital.

January 30

  • A 42-year-old Chinese woman who traveled in the same Wuhan travel group as the 44-year-old man tested positive. She is in stable condition at the Gold Coast University Hospital.

February 4

  • The corona virus has been diagnosed in an eight-year-old boy. He also comes from the travel group where the other Queensland cases came from

February 5

  • The case was found in a 37-year-old man who was a member of a group of nine Chinese tourists in quarantine on the Gold Coast

February 6

  • A 37-year-old woman was diagnosed with the corona virus of the same travel group that flew from Melbourne to Queensland on January 27

SOUTH AUSTRALIA: 2

February 1

  • A Chinese couple in their 60s who arrived in Adelaide from Wuhan to visit relatives have been confirmed to have a corona virus.

CHINA: 2

January 30

  • It has been confirmed that two Australians have the virus in Wuhan itself. Australia has increased the travel alarm level to ‘not traveling’ for the city of Wuhan – the epicenter of the outbreak – and for the entire Hubei province.
  • Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy says that unless people are in contact with someone who doesn’t feel well and comes from that part of China, there is no cause for concern.

JAPAN: 15

  • From 15 February, 47 Australians are among 219 confirmed cases of the corona virus contracted aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama.
  • Two more Australians on board tested positive after being evacuated to Darwin on February 22

QUEEN COUNTRY: 4

  • Four Australians test positive for coronavirus after being evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship
  • Two Queensland women, 54 and 55 years old, tested positive for COVID-19 and are flown to Brisbane for further treatment.
  • Previously, a 78-year-old man from Western Australia was transferred to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Perth. His wife travels with him but is then isolated for two weeks at home.

.