Five of the 12 Israeli teenagers who have been arrested on suspicion of raping a British woman in Cyprus have been released from police custody.
The five – including the youngest suspect, 15 years old – were released on Thursday evening after DNA evidence could not have meant that they had flown to Israel.
The other seven suspects appeared in court Friday, where a judge ordered them to be held in custody for six more days while the investigation continued.
It is thought that the next phase of the investigation will include an identity parade, which will then be added to DNA evidence and images from mobile phones to form the basis of costs that may be incurred next week.
Five Israeli teenagers accused of raping a 19-year-old British woman from Aiya Napa last week have been released and flown home to Israel – while the other seven appeared in court
A judge ruled that the remaining seven suspects should be detained for another six days in prison in Cyprus while the police continued the investigation
Judicial documents show that DNA of a suspect who once had sex with the woman was found on her body (photo, two suspects arrive in court)
The accused briefly appeared Friday in a court in the city of Paralimni, where they were told they would be detained until next week.
Covering their faces with T-shirts over their heads, the suspects were enthralled as they were taken from police stations to the court.
Documents seen by Mail Online showed that the DNA of one of the accused, who had denied in police interviews with sex, had been found in the woman.
In his interview, the suspect only identified that number four had claimed that he had not slept with the woman at the Pambos Rocks Hotel in the Ayia Napa resort.
But DNA analysis performed by a laboratory in Nicosia after a medical examination of the alleged victim found traces of his DNA.
Relatives of the accused watched from a short distance as they climbed a flight of stairs to the courtroom on the first floor.
Because one of the suspects is younger than 18, the proceedings are closed to the press. Only lawyers and family members were allowed inside.
One of the suspects was released after his girlfriend showed the police a selfie of them in bed when the alleged attack occurred, the Israeli media reported.
It is thought that the next phase of the investigation involves an identity parade where the woman, who is still in Cyprus, will choose her alleged attackers from a line-up
The investigation focuses on three main suspects, all of whom admit to having sex with the woman, but say it was consensual
Speaking to channel 12, the teenager said he was in his room when the police struck, accused him of raping a woman, and handcuffed him.
He said he told officers at the time that he had been with his girlfriend, but his pleas were ignored.
After he was released from prison, he said: & # 39; My girlfriend's selfie saved my life, I will never come back here. & # 39;
It is also thought that DNA samples taken from the crime scene were unable to obtain the five that were freed, those of Israel Ynet News reported.
Due to the lack of other evidence, the teenagers were released.
The police investigation is thought to target three main suspects, who all admit to having sex with the 19-year-old Brit, but insist that it was consensual.
Instagram posts between one of the main suspects and the woman show that they were talking and flirting for a few days before the alleged attack, and that the boy invited the woman to his room at least once.
The woman says that she willingly went to the boys' room in the Pambos Napa Rocks Hotel, but once inside she claims that the group pinned her and attacked her for an hour before falling unconscious and being released.
The police are supposed to be in possession of images of cell phones from that night, the boys insist that the woman agree.
The three main suspects have been interviewed repeatedly in recent days, the Times of Israel reports, while three others have stopped working together.
According to the Brit's report of the attack, she went to the hotel room of one of the boys she knew (photo top left) before the group jumped on her and attacked her
She said the attack lasted an hour until she fainted and they let her go, after which she found friends staying at the hotel (file image)
Three more insisted that they were in a nearby bar until about 3 o'clock in the night and could not have participated.
The British woman is also still in Cyprus and was interviewed Tuesday by researchers who believe her version of the events is credible.
An identity parade will take place next week when she is asked to choose the suspects from a line-up.
The results of the identity parade are added to evidence for mobile phones and DNA samples and then form the basis for the indictment.
Nir Yaslovitzh, an Israeli lawyer representing three of the suspects, suggested that the police might accuse some teenagers of conspiring to rape or hide a rape if they cannot prove that they have actively participated.
He said to the Times of Israel: & # 39; This is an insane charge that also endangers young people whose DNA is not found on women. & # 39;
Lawyers for the seven accused are hopeful that the seven – who are not mentioned – will be given bail at the next session of the court.
"They will not be able to leave Cyprus, but they are under house arrest with a curfew," said one of the accused's lawyers.
Half a dozen relatives of the accused had flown from Israel to attend the hearing in the small court in the town of Paralimni, about eight miles from the popular resort of Ayia Napa.
The Israeli teenagers are supposed to have been in Ayia Napa before compulsory military service, while the woman tried to work there as a club promoter (file)
Before they arrived, the uncle of one of the defendants said that his cousin should be shot if she had committed rape.
"I don't think he would do that to a woman, but if he is found guilty, he should be shot," said the family member who would only name Meir.
"No woman may undergo such treatment. It is not human and if my cousin would do this, I would like to pull the trigger. & # 39;
Meir said the teenager's parent could not travel from their home in Jerusalem because they had no passports.
Lawyer Nir Jeslovitcvh, who represents two of the suspects, said he was convinced that all seven would be released.
"We have won a big victory in the five that have already gone home and I am confident that the other will soon return to Israel.
"This has been very difficult for those who have been detained while keeping their innocence."
According to the British version of the events, she was at a party in Aiya Napa until around midnight on July 16, when she went to the hotel to meet one of the boys.
According to Israel's Channel 13, she said: “I knew some of the boys and we were in a relationship, but when I came into the room around midnight, everyone was drunk, I remember everything was blurry.
& # 39; I remember that until about 1:00 am the friends I didn't know raped me, some wore a condom and others didn't.
& # 39; They hurt my whole body … one of them held me and then I saw at least twelve faces … one hour or so, one after the other.
& # 39; After they released me, I fainted, and then I ran out of the room, met friends, and they took me half-naked to the clinic. & # 39;
The police then arrested the 12 suspects who protested against their innocence and claimed that British tourists had defeated them when allegations of the attack came into circulation before the police also hit them.
They first appeared in court on July 18, when a judge held them all for eight days while the police tested DNA samples from the hotel room.
At a first hearing last week, it was revealed that the victim had bruises and scratches on her leg.
The victim had only been in Cyprus for a week when the alleged attack took place after he had flown to the island to work as a promotional girl distributing kites at one of the many night clubs at the resort.
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news (t) israel