Fierce rivals David Warner and Quinton de Kock face each other while Australia plays South Africa in cricket
David Warner REFUSES to clear the air with Quinton de Kock after the couple was embroiled in a fiery sleigh controversy involving the wife of Australian cricket star Candice
- Warner and de Kock delivered ugly moment in bitter test series in 2018
- Confrontation fueled by de Kock who made a derogatory remark about Candice
- Warner described the sled as “despicable and disgusting” – since then, few have spoken
David Warner is not going to clean up with Quinton de Kock after their stairwell during Australia’s last visit to South Africa, but both men have reduced the likelihood of tensions between the two nations.
Warner and de Kock delivered one of the ugliest moments of a bitter test series in 2018 when they came down a flight of stairs after a match in Durban.
The confrontation was fueled by the Kock who made a derogatory remark about Warner’s wife Candice and her attempt with Sonny Bill Williams more than a decade earlier.
Scroll down for video
David Warner (pictured with wife Candice) is not going to clean up with Quinton de Kock after their stairwell during Australia’s last visit to South Africa
Warner and de Kock (pictured with wife Sasha) delivered one of the ugliest moments of a bitter test series in 2018 when they came down a staircase after a game in Durban
Warner described the sled as “mean and disgusting,” and the debacle worsened in Port Elizabeth when a number of fans – and two Cricket South Africa officials – were photographed with Williams face masks.
Warner said he had not spoken to De Kock since the heated 2018 series.
‘We will of course cross each other and play against each other. But I don’t have his number and I’m talking to some South African guys, but I’ve never played on the same team as him or something, “Warner told reporters in Johannesburg.
“It’s clearly a bit different. I’m sure if I see him on the field and we’ll just treat each other the way we would normally do as respectful opponents. “
For the T20 series opener at the Wanderers on Friday night (AEDT Saturday morning), Warner and Steve Smith’s first game in South Africa since the 12-month sabotage of Cape Town, a hostile capacity is expected for the T20 series opener.
Warner does not expect a recurrence of hostilities during the tour, including a return to Newlands for the final T20 followed by three ODIs.
‘It is one-day cricket and Twenty20 cricket. You don’t really have much time in a short time to get under each other’s skin or something, “he said.
“And you don’t go there. Of course they had some heated exchanges with the English (last month) and that was during the test races.
“For us, our focus is ahead and trying to get the victories on the board and send a message to everyone that the (T20) World Cup is in our backyard and that we want to be a team to beat.”
Wicketkeeper-batsman de Kock – now South Africa’s captain after replacing old established Faf du Plessis in all formats – said he expected the series to be played in the right spirit.
“I think I and (Warner) left anyway,” he said.
“We just want to play cricket, we still love playing the game very hard. But I don’t think anything will happen.
“We just continue with the way we should do things and don’t worry too much about that.”