England’s T20 tour of Pakistan next month in doubt after New Zealand abandoned their white ball series there due to safety concerns just hours before the first ODI in Rawalpindi
- New Zealand canceled their white ball tour of Pakistan for safety reasons
- Decision came just hours before the first one-day race in Rawalpindi
- It has questioned England’s visit to Pakistan for two T20s next month
- Games in Rawalpindi on October 14-15 were part of the build-up of the T20 World Cup
- New Zealand government warning about threat level led to decision
England’s tour of Pakistan next month was called into question today after New Zealand gave up their own international series there for security reasons.
The New Zealanders did not leave their hotel for the first one-day international and no spectators were allowed to enter the stadium in Rawalpindi after the country’s cricket board received safety advice.
At around 2:30 p.m., the scheduled time of the day-nighter’s toss, confirmation came that the tourists would return home before a ball was bowled.
New Zealand’s white-ball tour of Pakistan has been halted after a security warning
England’s planned visit to Pakistan for two T20 matches next month is now in doubt
The first one-day international between New Zealand and Pakistan was canceled on Friday
“The BLACKCAPS are exiting their tour of Pakistan following a security warning from the New Zealand government,” said a statement from New Zealand Cricket.
“The intention was to face Pakistan tonight in the first of three ODIs in Rawalpindi before moving to Lahore for a T20 series of five matches.
“However, following an escalation in the New Zealand government’s threat levels to Pakistan and advice from NZC security advisers on the ground, it has been decided that the BLACKCAPS will not continue the tour.
Soldiers stand guard outside Pindi Cricket Stadium in Rawalpindi for security reasons
New Zealand will now make plans to leave Pakistan after the cancellation of their tour
‘Agreements are now being made about the departure of the team.’
NZC chief executive David White added: “I understand this will be a blow to the PCB who have been great hosts but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option.”
England will play two Twenty20 internationals in Rawalpindi on October 14-15, when the England women’s team tours at the same time.
In response, the Pakistan Cricket Board said that “flawless security arrangements had been made, adding:” The Pakistani Prime Minister spoke personally with the Prime Minister of New Zealand and told her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that there is no security risk of any kind to the visiting team.
“During their stay here, the security officials of the New Zealand team have been pleased with the security arrangements made by the Pakistani government.
The Pakistan Cricket Board said strict security measures had been taken for the tour
Stumps are removed from the wicket at the Pindi Cricket Stadium after the shutdown
PCB is prepared to let the scheduled games go ahead. But cricket fans in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal.’
New Zealand were set to play three one-day internationals, followed by a five-match Twenty20 series, but arrangements were made today to fly them home as soon as possible.
New Zealand Cricket Players’ Association chief executive Heath Mills said: “We have been through this process throughout and fully support the decision.
‘The players are in good hands; they are safe – and everyone is acting in their best interest.”
The level of the threat has not been disclosed by NZC, but the development will be a huge blow to a Pakistani hierarchy – including their UK chief executive Wasim Khan – who have worked so hard to bring international cricket back to their country after a decade. of opponents’ reluctance in the wake of the Sri Lanka team bus that was attacked by terrorists with weapons in Lahore in 2009.