Deontay Wilder is betting on a trilogy with Tyson Fury in 2020, according to his manager Shelly Finkel … which means Dillian Whyte will have to wait for his chance for the WBC title
- Deontay Wilder has a clause in his contract for a third fight with Tyson Fury
- The American is looking for a trilogy this year, says his manager
- That means mandatory challenger Dillian Whyte will have to wait to tackle Fury
According to his manager, Deontay Wilder offers for a third fight with Tyson Fury this year and has Dillian Whyte wait for his own shot.
The American lost his rematch with Fury in February after signing with him in the first game, but he does have a clause in his contract that will allow him to claim another fight.
Earlier this month, Fury’s US promoter Top Rank said they were targeting a possible December 19 date for the trilogy.
Deontay Wilder (right) offers a third fight this year with Tyson Fury (left)
Co-manager Shelly Finkel (left) confirmed that Wilder was looking for a resit in 2020
And now Wilder’s co-manager Shelly Finkel has confirmed that his client will have the opportunity to reclaim his WBC title before the end of 2020.
“Deontay will be fighting Fury this year,” Finkel said Sky Sports.
Frank Warren, Fury’s own promoter, believes Wilder is confident and will try to avenge the loss in the seventh round.
“I don’t know what Deontay can bring that is different from the previous two fights,” Warren told Sky Sports last month.
Fury overcame Wilder with a break from the seventh round in their second fight in February
“He feels he can do it. I know I am talking to Shelly Finkel’s manager, he is very confident. He believes he has Tyson’s beating. That remains to be seen. “
It comes as a blow to Whyte, the mandatory challenger for Fury’s WBC belt. His promoter Eddie Hearn had suggested why Whyte could play with Fury next time if Wilder didn’t want a third game.
“We want Dillian Whyte to fight Tyson Fury as soon as possible, and if Wilder is unavailable for any reason, Dillian should step in and take that,” Hearn also told Sky Sports.
It comes as a blow to Dillian Whyte, who is the mandatory challenger to Fury’s WBC title
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman had also supported a possible fight between Whyte and Fury.
Sulaiman noted, “It could happen if they reach an agreement, and they accept that it will happen. It can happen yes. ‘
Whyte’s mandatory status is in the air, as he has to defend his WBC ‘interim’ title against Alexander Povetkin on August 22 in the final of Matchroom’s Fight Camp.