The Chicago gun violence crisis continued over the weekend, with at least 11 dead and dozens injured, including nine children.
Between Friday and Sunday evening, officers responded to 44 shooting incidents with a total of 56 victims and 11 deaths, Chicago police said Monday.
Officials reported 56 shooting victims and 11 deaths. The ages of the deceased range from 26 to 38 years.
Nine people under the age of 18 were among the injured, police said.
It’s because Chicago has endured a devastating wave of gun crimes so far this year — with shootings up nearly nine percent over 2020.
The violence has sparked feverish calls for city officials to take action as many blame Mayor Lori Lightfoot for failing to adequately address the crisis.
Chicago police battled another weekend of extreme gun violence across the city (5,000 blocks from West Ohio St. pictured above) that left at least 11 dead and 56 injured, including 9 children
This comes just weeks after Chicago saw one of the highest crime weekends of the year and officials released data indicating an increase in criminal activity from last year.
Among the juvenile victims of the shooting over the past violent weekend were four teenage girls who were hit in a drive-by attack and an eight-year-old boy who was shot while driving a car.
Officials say the girls injured were among six people shot and injured as they stood outside a house party in the South Austin neighborhood on Saturday night.
The youngest of the girls was 12 years old. She was shot in the hand. A 15-year-old girl suffered a head injury when a bullet flew away, while two other teenage girls, ages 14 and 13, received gunshot wounds to their buttocks.
A 19-year-old woman was shot in the back and is in fair condition. A 25-year-old man was also treated at the city’s Mount Sinai Hospital with gunshot wounds to his buttocks.
So far no arrests have been made.
Four teenage girls were among six attacked Saturday night in a drive-by attack that took place outside a party (pictured above) in the city’s South Austin neighborhood
The youngest of the girls was 12 years old. She was shot in the hand. A 15-year-old girl suffered a head injury when a bullet flew away, while two other teenage girls, ages 14 and 13, suffered gunshot wounds to their buttocks
In another incident, an eight-year-old boy and a 28-year-old man were injured after someone in a black sports car fired shots at their moving vehicle. MSN reports.
The man was shot in the back and the child in the left leg. Both are said to be in stable/good condition.
The shooting took place in South Chicago. Authorities have not provided any information about the suspect at this time.
according to Yahoo NewsChicago has seen a record number of violent crime incidents this year.
As of July 7, there were more than 2,021 shootings in 2021, 164 more than in 2020. The city had also reported 364 shooting deaths at the time, an increase of 5 more than last year.
By mid-2021, police are already seeing an increase in shootings and murders from the previous year (graph based on data released June 25, 2021)
The Chicago Police Department is expected to provide updated crime statistics at a press conference at 11 a.m. local time Monday.
Meanwhile, Mayor Lightfoot continues to come under fire as crime rises throughout the city.
Earlier this month, officials revealed that Lightfoot was taking two of its top aides off work just before the city was gripped by violence over the weekend of July 4, in which more than 100 people were shot and at least 17 were killed.
Their absence came despite Lightfoot’s promise to have “all hands on deck” to deal with a sudden increase in shootings in the city ahead of that weekend.
Police officers were even forced to work 12-hour shifts over the Independence Day weekend to increase their street presence.
Chicago Police Department is expected to provide the city’s latest crime statistics at a press conference on Monday
Meanwhile, Mayor Lori Lightfoot (left) faces backlash for her leadership as some community leaders and members claim she has expressed a “complete lack of commitment” to fighting violence in Chicago
In that time, Southwest Side Councilor Raymond Lopez said: the city’s leadership was ‘disconnected’, arguing that officials showed a ‘complete lack of commitment to fighting the violence’.
Likewise, Councilor Anthony Napolitano called the city a “war zone” after the holiday weekend and slammed Lightfoot as responsible.
Lightfoot’s office reiterated that the mayor’s team was “fully engaged” during what was statistically the most dangerous weekend in Chicago.
DailyMail.com has contacted Lightfoot’s office for comment on the latest spate of violence and has not heard anything yet.