Arkansas father accused of raping his son with a cane ‘made six-year-old sleep in a dog cage and pulled the child’s teeth with tongs’
- Mauricio Alejandro Torres is said to have attacked his son during a camping trip
- Maurice ‘Isaiah’ Torres died after allegedly being sexually assaulted with a cane
- Parents are said to have lived in a garbage bin for a month with little food
- Torres is now confronted with a new process for capital murder and battery and battery charges
A court accused of killing his six-year-old son by sexually attacking him with a stick would allegedly pull his teeth out with tongs and force him to sleep in a dog cage, a court heard.
Mauricio Alejandro Torres is said to have violated his son Maurice ‘Isaiah’ Torres during a camping trip as punishment for eating a piece of cake without permission.
The young person developed a bacterial infection and died of septic shock the following day in March 2015.
A jury heard Monday that the parents of the six-year-old were allegedly beating their son with cables and shoes and giving him coal in his stocking at Christmas, according to Arkansas Democrat Gazette.
Torres pleaded not guilty of capital murder and battery by Maurice’s death at the Benton County Circuit Court in Arkansas.
Mauricio Alejandro Torres (photo) allegedly violated his son Maurice ‘Isaiah’ Torres during a camping trip as punishment for eating a piece of cake without permission
Isaiah’s 12-year-old sister testified during the trial and claims that she saw her parents pull her brother’s teeth with tongs and let him sleep in a dog cage.
She also says that he was forced to stay in a large garbage bin for a month, while often acting as a guard, so that he would not escape to eat food.
The sister claims that she received home-cooked meals and would dine in restaurants, while Isaiah received rice and beans.
She told the court that she saw her father hit him with a stick – and he let her and her twin sister hit him too.
Maurice ‘Isaiah’ Torres developed a bacterial infection and died of septic shock after being raped with a stick
“I did it because I was scared because maybe I would be defeated if I didn’t do it,” she told the court according to the news.
Isaiah’s birthday was never celebrated and he got coal on Christmas Day, she told the court.
She also told jurors that she remembered her mother pouring bleach over her brother while her father scrubbed his skin.
The boy was forced to squat while the stick was in his rectum and his mother Cathy further injured him by pushing him to the ground with it inside him.
She was given a life sentence after being found guilty of capital murder in March 2017.
He was sentenced to death in November 2016, but his conviction was destroyed in April because the alleged assault with a stick took place in Missouri and not in Arkansas.
Maurice’s father is accused of capital murder and battery after his death in 2015
Capital murder crimes that carry the death penalty must have taken place in the state where the prosecution is committed, according to state law.
Torres is now facing a new trial at the Benton County Circuit Court in Arkansas on Thursday after his original convictions for these technical details were overturned.
He faces life imprisonment or death if he is convicted of murder and five to 20 years imprisonment if convicted of a battery.
His original trial heard testimony from a medical investigator who stated that the death of Isaiah was caused by a bacterial infection due to the stick’s breach, the news reports.
The medical examiner noted that Isaiah’s nose was broken and that several teeth had been pulled out and that he had countless old and fresh wounds on his head.
Prosecutors used allegations of other cases of child abuse committed by Torres in Arkansas as a reason for the new trial of murder charges.
Torres was sentenced to death in November 2016, but his conviction was destroyed in April because the alleged assault with a stick took place in Missouri and not in Arkansas. He is now facing a new process
At the opening of the trial last week, the public prosecutor set out the horrific details of the case.
Benton County Prosecutor Nathan Smith told jury members: “This is a story about abuse, torture, and murder of six-year-old Isaiah.
“He suffered from chronic child abuse syndrome. The photos you see are ugly, grotesque. ”
Smith claimed that Isaiah had been abused two years before his death and in March 2015, when he “received a fatal blow,” he added.
During the first trial, it turned out that the Department of Human Services of Arkansas had twice investigated allegations of child abuse against Torres and his wife, one year before their son’s death.