The boyfriend of a Virginia woman who was found dead with her two American friends last month in an Airbnb in Mexico City has expressed doubts about whether they died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
In a story published Wednesday night by El País, Victor Day, 30, revealed that his girlfriend Kandace Florence, 28, visited a bar in the Mexican capital with her high school friend Jordan Marshall, 28, and Courtez Hall, 33, and that in early morning of October 30 received a series of worrying messages from Florence feeling ill.
Day recalled receiving the first message from his girlfriend at about 3 a.m., who had traveled to Mexico to participate in the Day of the Dead festivities and was due to fly home on November 1.
‘I feel extremely tired. I am not feeling well. I can’t wait to get home,” Florence wrote.
Day then asked, ‘What’s going on? Is everything alright?’
Florence replied, “I feel like I’ve been drugged. As if I’ve taken ecstasy, but I haven’t.’
Virginia-born Kandace Florence (pictured) texted her boyfriend Victor Day in the early hours of October 30 to tell him she felt she had been “drugged” after visiting a bar in Mexico City. The 28-year-old was in the Mexican capital with her friends Jordan Marshall and Courtez Hall and was found dead hours later in their Airbnb rental home. The Mexico City Attorney General’s office this week told DailyMail.com that the victims died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, but Day expressed doubts because there was a detector in the apartment.
Courtez Hall was one of three Americans found dead in an Airbnb in Mexico City on October 30
Jordan Marshall (pictured) died in Mexico City with his high school friend Kandace Cameron from Virginia and his New Orleans friend Courtez Hall
Her concerned friend asked if Marshall was around and if she was in the apartment or hanging out in town.
Florence wrote that they had just returned to the apartment but that she was “literally in pain and pacing around the apartment. I’m shaking.’
Day told the newspaper that he and his girlfriend were chatting via video and that the conversation was interrupted several times because she was vomiting.
He recalled Florence “visibly shaking” and asked her if she had left her drinks unattended while at the bar.
“Mexico is not a country where you can be careless,” he warned her. “It’s very dangerous.”
El País newspaper reported that Kandace Florence texted her boyfriend, “I feel like I’ve been drugged. Like I took ecstasy, but I haven’t, just before she died in her Airbnb in Mexico City on October 30
History teacher Courtez Hall in New Orleans was one of three Americans found dead in an Airbnb while vacationing in Mexico City on October 30.
Day and Florence ended the conversation to let her rest.
He called later and Florence didn’t answer.
“I told myself it might be nothing,” Day said. “That she would throw up everything they gave her, sleep, that we would talk again in the morning and that she would tell me what had happened.”
That phone call never happened.
Day reached out to Marshall and after failing to answer his calls, he contacted the Airbnb host and asked them to do a group wellness check.
The apartment owner called Day back 15 minutes later to inform him that all three had been found dead.
While the Mexico City Attorney General’s office confirmed to DailyMail.com on Tuesday that Florence, Marshall and Hall “died of carbon monoxide poisoning,”
Day said authorities in Mexico have been slow to provide details of exactly what happened and have only told the families that the incident is under investigation.
According to Day, the listing for the apartment, which is located in Mexico City’s Cuajimalpa de Morelos neighborhood, included a carbon monoxide detector.
The Mexico City Attorney General’s office said there was a strong smell of gas in the apartment.
But Day has doubts about that.
“If gas was the cause, how come the sensors didn’t go off to warn them?” he said. ‘How is it possible that the guards they found weren’t poisoned too? And how could Kandace tell me she felt drugged long before she returned home?’