ECA president Andrea Agnelli confirmed that UEFA cleared the way for the return of a third club competition. © Twitter
The president of the Association of European Clubs (ECA), Andrea Agnelli, has confirmed that UEFA is clearing the way for the return of a third club competition, two decades after the disappearance of the Recopa. Agnelli, who is also on the UEFA club competition committee and president of Juventus, said at the ECA General Assembly in Split, Croatia on Tuesday, that "the" green light "has been given to present a third competition … as of the season 2021/22 ". The measure must now be validated at a future meeting of the UEFA Executive Committee.
Agnelli said the move would mean a total of 96 teams involved in the three competitions.
With 48 parties currently involved in the group stage of the Europa League, that probably means that the competition will be reduced to 32 teams, with the same number competing in the group stage of the Champions League and the new competition.
His comments come after UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin downplayed media reports on the subject when he spoke to reporters in Monaco last month.
"It's just discussions, is it better to have 64 in the Europa League or 32 and 32? It's just discussions," Ceferin said at the time.
The Cup Winners Cup ran for almost 40 years before being abandoned in 1999 at a time when the Champions League was expanding.