You’ll have to arrest me to prevent me from reopening theaters on June 21, warns Andrew Lloyd Webber
You’ll have to arrest me to prevent me from reopening theaters on June 21, impresario Andrew Lloyd Webber warns Boris Johnson amid concerns the unlock will be delayed
- Composer said he may have to sell six West End locations if lockdown isn’t relaxed
- He also revealed that he had already been forced to pay for his London home again
- Pandemic has had catastrophic financial impact on theater industry
Andrew Lloyd Webber has warned Boris Johnson that nothing will stop him from reopening his theaters on June 21 and he is ready to be arrested.
The 73-year-old composer told the Daily Telegraph he may have to sell his six West End venues if the government doesn’t ease restrictions.
He also revealed that he has already remortgaged his London home.
The pandemic has had catastrophic financial consequences for the theater industry and many have remained closed despite the ease of Covid-19 restrictions as it is not financially viable for them to open with reduced capacities.
The 73-year-old composer told the Daily Telegraph he may have to sell his six West End venues if the government doesn’t ease restrictions
Lord Lloyd-Webber is preparing for a production of Cinderella, which is scheduled to premiere on June 25, ahead of its world premiere in July.
“We will open, in hell or high tide,” Lord Lloyd-Webber told the Telegraph.
When asked what he would do if the government delayed lifting the lockdown, he said: “We will say ‘come to the theater and arrest us’.
The June 21 ‘freedom day’ is questionable due to concerns about the impact of Covid-19 variants.
When asked what he would do if the government delayed lifting the lockdown, he said: “We will say: ‘Come to the theater and arrest us'”
Lord Lloyd-Webber said scientific evidence shows theaters are “completely safe” and do not cause outbreaks.
He added: ‘If the government ignores their own science, we have the mother of all lawsuits against them. If Cinderella couldn’t open, we’d say, “Look, either we go to the law, or you have to compensate us.”
This isn’t the first time Lord Lloyd-Webber, 73, has criticized those calling for a reopening delay.
Last week, he told the Daily Mail he could take legal action if his theaters are not allowed to welcome crowds at full capacity.