Yoga teacher, 39, dies two months after her husband died ‘from a carbon monoxide leak’ on their honeymoon that had left her struggling for life
- Mary Somerville was found unconscious with her husband Jaime Carsi
- The couple was poisoned by a suspected gas leak at their holiday home in Spain.
A woman has died two months after her husband died from a suspected gas leak during their honeymoon.
Mary Somerville was found unconscious along with Jaime Carsi in a holiday home in Majorca on May 6.
The 39-year-old man was taken to hospital in serious condition but died at St Columba’s Hospice in Edinburgh on July 2.
Mallorcan authorities believe a gas leak may have caused the deaths.
Mary Somerville lost her fight for life two months after her husband Jaime Carsi died from a suspected carbon monoxide leak
Mary Somerville, pictured on the left, died two months after her husband Jaime Carsi, on the right. The couple had been poisoned by carbon monoxide on their honeymoon in Mallorca in May
A notice posted online by funeral directors D Chisholm and Sons said Ms Somerville passed away peacefully “eight weeks after a tragic accident in Mallorca”.
He went on to describe her as ‘loving wife of the late Jaime, adored daughter of Helena and David, much loved sister to Misha and John’ and ‘dear sister-in-law, aunt and friend to many’.
The Mallorcan newspaper Última Hora previously reported that Ms Somerville and Mr Carsi, 40, had been married two weeks before the incident.
It is understood that the couple were due to go out on a boating trip and the alarm was raised when they did not show up.
Cala Mesquida is a vacation spot famous for its clear skies, blue waters, and sandy beaches.
Iain Stewart, chief executive of the Edinburgh Interfaith Association, took to social media to pay tribute to his friend, Ms Somerville, originally from Abriachan, Inverness-shire.
Stewart said: ‘It pains me to share this deeply heartbreaking news. My good friend and friend of the Edinburgh Interfaith Association, Mary Somerville, has sadly passed away.
‘Many people will know Maria through her role as a teacher in the Art of Living. I will remember Mary for her warm and contagious personality and her smile that would light up any room.”
Mr. Stewart urged people to send prayers to his family and loved ones. He added: “As people of faith, we are comforted by the belief that Maria will once again be united to hers, her beloved, Jaime, hers.”
The couple had flown in from their home in Edinburgh to spend time at a family home at the Cala Mesquida resort.
It is understood that a broken refrigerator on the property caused the gas leak.
Last night, the yoga and meditation teacher was described by friends as a ‘special soul’ and ‘an inspiration’.
On social media, one person wrote: “Mary was a special soul, always happy, always smiling.”
Another said: ‘I’m so sorry to hear this. I have met Maria several times, she always shone with such light, love and grace.
‘What an inspiration. May she have deep peace.’
A former worker at Lloyds Bank, Ms Somerville was also a breathing instructor at the Art of Living non-profit foundation in Edinburgh.
She was a talented harpist, often playing at events organized by the Edinburgh Interfaith Association.
Her husband was an analyst for a Scottish investment management firm.
Carsi described himself online as being from Madrid.
Manacor Hospital on the island of Majorca
But it is believed that he moved to the UK as a child, moving to Edinburgh from London around six years ago.
A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We support the family of a British woman who was hospitalized in Mallorca.”
Spanish police were contacted for comment.
Mrs Somerville’s funeral will take place at Inverness Crematorium.