Yes, it is all vegan! Zingy watermelon salad
Try this juicy burger and others irresistible vegetable dishes out the BOSH! cookbook.
This delicious spicy watermelon salad is ideal for a balmy evening in the garden
This is great for a balmy evening in the garden or from Tupperware in the park! Black rice is a great source of slow-burning fiber, while edamame beans are high in protein and folic acid.
648kcal per serving
- 150 g of black rice
- 125 g of frozen edamame beans
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) watermelon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 200 g tomatoes, chopped
- 2 radishes, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of fresh mint leaves
- 25 g unsalted cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon mix of black and white sesame seeds
BOSH! Healthy Vegan by Henry Firth and Ian Theasby is out now (HQ, HarperCollins). List price € 16.99 Photography: Lizzie Mayson. BOSH! are live weekly on their social channels, with free recipes @ bosh.tv every day
For the pickled onion
- 1 red onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon of caster sugar
- 150 ml of cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of whole black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon of coriander seeds
- 1 bay leaf
For the dressing
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1 small fresh red chili, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 5 cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1½ tsp mirin (from supermarkets)
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
First cook the black rice and edamame beans according to the instructions on the package. Now make the pickled onion.
Peel the onion and cut into thin slices. Place the salt, sugar, cider vinegar, peppercorns, fennel and coriander seeds and bay leaf in a pan and heat over low heat until fragrant. Take the fire off.
Put the onion in a heat-resistant bowl, cover with boiling water and let stand for 1 minute. Place the onion in an airtight container. Pour the pan with pickling liquid into the pot and seal.
Once at room temperature, put the jar in the refrigerator. The pickle has a shelf life of up to 1 month.
For the dressing, place the lime juice, chili, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, mirin, maple syrup, and soy sauce in a bowl and mix. A splash of water will loosen it if necessary.
Place the watermelon, tomatoes, radishes and edamame beans in a salad bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of pickled onion (drained) and 1 tablespoon of dressing. Toss gently to combine.
Place the black rice on a plate, with a little dressing, and cover with the watermelon mixture.
Coarsely tear the mint leaves and fold them in slightly. Sprinkle with the cashews, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve, with the rest of the dressing next to it.