<pre><pre>Yemen: the death toll from tropical storm Luban rises to 12 | News

The death toll from tropical storm Luban, which hit the war-ravaged eastern province of al-Mahra in Yemen, has risen to 12, a local health official said.

Awad Mubarak told Anadolu Agency on Sunday that 126 people were also injured after three days of heavy rains in the province between October 15 and 17.

Mubarak warned of a possible disease outbreak due to stagnant water caused by widespread floods.

"We are concerned that diseases such as cholera and malaria may spread unless immediate action is taken to deal with standing water," he said.

Last year, more than a million Yemenis were infected with cholera and more than 2,200 reported deaths.

Cholera is transmitted by water and spreads rapidly in areas where sanitation is deficient and there is no access to clean drinking water.

The United Nations reported earlier this week that The coastal areas of al-Mahrah had been the most affected, with Around 2,000 affected families.

With winds that oscillated between 56 kilometers per hour and 83 km / h, Luban lashed the province after avoiding the direct attack to the neighboring Oman.

The UN said that the main hospital in the city of Qishn had not been functioning since October 16, while in the Masilah district, 30 houses were destroyed and another 32 damaged by the floods.

Yemen has been hit by five tropical storms since 2014, when the Houthi rebels invaded much of the country.

In May, Cyclone Mekunu crashed into southern Oman and the Yemeni island of Socotra, killing at least 11 people.

The war in Yemen has put the country's poor health system on its knees, and many hospitals can not help patients due to the lack of appropriate drugs and equipment caused by air strikes by a Saudi coalition in the United Arab Emirates. fight the Houthi rebels of the country.

SOURCE:
Al Jazeera and news agencies.