An elderly woman is supposed to be in a critical condition after having suffered a serious fall after the sudden evacuation of a retirement village.
The petite woman fell and hit her on Friday morning after her and 70 other residents were removed from the Earle Haven Retirement in Nerang on the Gold Coast on Thursday.
The woman was taken to the hospital after the accident and is in a critical condition, The Courier Mail reported.
The abrupt closure of the nursing home came as a result of a bitter feud between village owner People Care and medical contractor Help Street, as staff were told not to show up, leaving residents who require a high level of care.
Residents of the Earle Haven Retirement Village were forced to evict their house on Thursday after a dispute between the owner and the contractor
Patient records, medication and even cleaning supplies were stripped from the factory in the shock strike, which led to a large-scale medical emergency.
Emergency services were called to the village, bringing distressed residents, some suffering from dementia, to three hospitals and seven other nursing homes without leaving food, medication or beds.
People Care terminated the contract with HelpStreet and said it gave the contractor until August 9 to vacate the property, but HelpStreet & # 39; decided to leave earlier & # 39 ;.
Patient records, medication and cleaning products were removed from the village after staff were told on Thursday that they should not stand up for work
It said that People Care could not pay for its services, so staff were told not to show up for work on Thursday.
Queensland Health Minister Stephen Miles said that both the owners of Earle Haven and the contractors were to blame for the & # 39; disgusting & # 39; closure.
& # 39; It should never have happened & # 39 ;, Miles told reporters on Friday.
& # 39; The behavior here, whoever is responsible, is simply disgusting. & # 39;
He said that patient records disappeared, causing paramedics and doctors to crawl behind each other to know how to best treat and care for residents.
Many of the residents needed a high level of care because many suffered from dementia
Residents were left abandoned after the nursing home was stripped of all necessities, including food and bedding
& # 39; As I understand it, the storage space after the storage space was erased from anything that could be considered valuable.
& # 39; Our health workers had to reconstruct health history and medication requirements for residents to stabilize them and provide their care needs. & # 39;
The owner of the nursing home, Arthur Miller, said he was not responsible for the mess and said he would reopen the village "as soon as we know for sure that everything is okay," as reported by the Courier mail.
Photographs from inside the nursing home show files dumped on the floor, cabinets emptied and necessary equipment, including boxed gloves, ready to be taken.
Queensland Health Minister Stephen Miles said that both the owners of Earle Haven and the contractors were to blame for the & # 39; disgusting & # 39; closure
Employees said they had to spend their own money on gloves and medical supplies because the village was trying to ration them to save costs
Cabinets were bared after almost everything was removed from the retirement village
Lorraine Cook, whose husband John Cook had lived in the facility for two years, said there were many problems before Thursday and that she had made official complaints about the slipping state of his care.
& # 39; They got chicken that was not well cooked, it was still pink, fish that was not well cooked, pieces of pizza burned, not enough to feed a cat, & # 39; she said.
In the hours before residents were evacuated, Mrs. Cook said HelpStreet had removed food, medicines, patient records, computers, furniture, and even pots and pans from the site.
A former employee Judi Loughnan told Channel 9 about her experiences at the Earle Haven Retirement Village.
She said that she had to spend her own money to buy supplies because the staff were forced to ration gloves and paper towels in an effort to save costs.
& # 39; I would actually spend my own money making sure the staff had the equipment they needed & # 39 ;, said Ms. Loughnan.
After the disastrous closure, the residents of Earle Haven were sent to three other hospitals and seven nursing homes to be cared for
. [TagsToTranslate] Dailymail