Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Woman dies after 11 years of pain from Russian nightclub fire

Mom dies after 11 years of pain from injuries from Russian nightclub fire that left her paralyzed and claiming 150 lives – and dies only from Covid-19

  • Irina Pekarskaya was trapped in the Perm nightclub when fireworks exploded
  • When she was 33, she suffered a toxic brain injury and massive damage to her lungs
  • Her family said she had “experienced nothing but suffering in these eleven years”

A woman who was paralyzed and suffered horrific injuries from a Russian nightclub fire, died after 11 years of pain.

Irina Pekarskaya died only due to coronavirus limitations and became the 157th victim of the Permian disaster in December 2009.

When she was 33, she was trapped in the crowded Lame Horse club when a firework disaster went horribly wrong and set the roof on fire.

The mother of two children suffered 60 percent burns to the lungs, toxic brain damage, and a jaw fracture in the inferno that crushed dozens of others and burned them alive.

Irina Pekarskaya (photo) died 11 years after horrific injuries from a Russian nightclub fire and became the 157th victim of the disaster

Irina Pekarskaya in front of the fire

Irina Pekarskaya in front of the fire

Irina Pekarskaya (photo) died 11 years after horrific injuries from a Russian nightclub fire and became the 157th victim of the disaster

The mother of two (photo in hospital) contracted 60 percent burned lungs, toxic brain damage, and became paralyzed after the inferno

The mother of two (photo in hospital) contracted 60 percent burned lungs, toxic brain damage, and became paralyzed after the inferno

The mother of two (photo in hospital) contracted 60 percent burned lungs, toxic brain damage, and became paralyzed after the inferno

Irina never recovered from the injuries she sustained after being trapped in Lame Horse when fireworks exploded inside and lit up the ceiling

Irina never recovered from the injuries she sustained after being trapped in Lame Horse when fireworks exploded inside and lit up the ceiling

Irina never recovered from the injuries she sustained after being trapped in Lame Horse when fireworks exploded inside and lit up the ceiling

Irina was left paralyzed and unable to speak, and her arms and legs began to atrophy after the disaster.

In the aftermath of the horror, she was taken to Germany for treatment, but later she suffered a painful and grueling battle with her injuries in Russia.

“Seven years after the fire, she burst into tears when she first saw her two sons,” said her 71-year-old mother Galina.

Her family was unable to say goodbye because of the coronavirus pandemic.

“Irina has only suffered all those eleven years,” said her mother, adding, “I want to remember her as she was when she was alive.”

Her partner Sergey Kolpakov, then 49, had gone out for a cigarette and survived the disaster.

For years, he tried desperately to raise money for her treatment.

After it became clear that she would not recover, he started a relationship with another woman with whom he had twins.

The terrible fire was one of Russia's worst tragedies since the fall of the Soviet Union, with 157 killed and tens injured (the club is seen in the aftermath of the fire)

The terrible fire was one of Russia's worst tragedies since the fall of the Soviet Union, with 157 killed and tens injured (the club is seen in the aftermath of the fire)

The terrible fire was one of Russia’s worst tragedies since the fall of the Soviet Union, with 157 killed and tens injured (the club is seen in the aftermath of the fire)

When she was 33, she was trapped in the crowded Lame Horse club when a firework disaster went horribly wrong and set the roof on fire

When she was 33, she was trapped in the crowded Lame Horse club when a firework disaster went horribly wrong and set the roof on fire

In the aftermath of the horror, she was brought to Germany for treatment, but later faced a painful and grueling battle with her injuries in Russia

In the aftermath of the horror, she was brought to Germany for treatment, but later faced a painful and grueling battle with her injuries in Russia

When she was 33, Irina was trapped in the crowded Lame Horse club when a firework disaster went horribly wrong and set the roof on fire

Irina Pekerskaya with one of her children. Her mother remembered how she burst into tears when she first saw her two sons after the fire

Irina Pekerskaya with one of her children. Her mother remembered how she burst into tears when she first saw her two sons after the fire

Irina Pekerskaya with one of her children. Her mother remembered how she burst into tears when she first saw her two sons after the fire

The terrible fire was one of Russia’s worst tragedies since the fall of the Soviet Union, killing 157 people and injuring dozens.

The fire was caused by sparks from an indoor fireworks display that burned wicker coverings on the walls and ceiling during a party.

Witnesses said that a stampede had broken out when more than 200 guests ran to a single narrow exit.

Many of the victims suffocated and others were crushed when they attempted to overcome the “monstrous” tragedy in December 2009.

Club co-owner Anatoly Zak, the regional fire safety inspector and the head of the company in charge of the fireworks show were later all convicted.

Advertisement

.