Woman BURNS apartment just 14 hours after moving in when her wall sign overheated and caught fire

0

Fourteen hours after moving into her new apartment, a recent University of Oklahoma graduate returned from lunch with friends to find that her lit decor had “burnt down” the place.

Sydney Bags rented an apartment in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and immediately when she moved in, she decorated it with pillows, artwork, and a fun neon pink sign that read “Let’s Stay Home.”

But it was precisely because of that sign that she could no longer stay in that house: Less than a day after she moved in, the light stopped working and set fire to the wall behind it, burning not only the wall and her sofa, but also the sprinklers that destroyed the rest of her apartment and almost everything in it.

Nice setup!  Sydney Sacks moved into an apartment in the Dallas-Fort Worth neighborhood and was immediately decorated by hanging a neon pink sign that read 'Let's Stay Home' above her couch.

Nice setup! Sydney Sacks moved into an apartment in the Dallas-Fort Worth neighborhood and was immediately decorated by hanging a neon pink sign that read ‘Let’s Stay Home’ above her couch.

Oh no!  Within 14 hours of moving in, her apartment was destroyed by a fire

Oh no! Within 14 hours of moving in, her apartment was destroyed by a fire

Sad: Photos show her new apartment was starting to look pretty homey

Sad: Photos show her new apartment was starting to look pretty homey

Viral: Sydney shared her accident on TikTok, where her video has been viewed 1.4 million times

Viral: Sydney shared her accident on TikTok, where her video has been viewed 1.4 million times

Sydney shared her misfortune on TikTok, where her video has been viewed 1.4 million times.

“I moved into my new apartment and my neon sign burned it down 14 hours later,” she wrote.

Photos show her new apartment looked quite homey, with a white sectional couch, leopard pillows, a plush rug, and a coffee table with coffee table books, flowers, and trinkets from Jonathan Adler.

Her bedroom looked cozy too, with a white duvet, another plush rug, and butterfly art hanging over the bed.

But unfortunately that setup didn’t even last 24 hours.

“I moved in all the way on Saturday,” she explained, “and then, Sunday, the next day, I got a text from some friends asking if I wanted to meet them for lunch real soon. My parents live in the same building so I brought my dog ​​to them before I left.

Yaks!  The neon sign she bought on Etsy overheated and caught fire

It burned a huge hole in the wall and smoke destroyed the ceiling

Yaks! The neon sign she bought on Etsy overheated and caught fire

What once was: the plate was left in a charred, molten heap

What once was: the plate was left in a charred, molten heap

Freak accident: She said the Etsy seller was well-reviewed and she couldn't have foreseen that the sign would catch fire

Freak accident: She said the Etsy seller was well-reviewed and she couldn’t have foreseen that the sign would catch fire

Water damage: The worst destruction was wrought by the sprinkler system, which destroyed her furniture

Water damage: The worst destruction was wrought by the sprinkler system, which destroyed her furniture

“I left the light on without even thinking about it,” she said of the neon sign above her couch.

But minutes after she left, the neon light caught fire, scorching the wall behind it, leaving a gaping hole.

The rising smoke blackened the walls and ceiling, and the first spread to her new $1,500 Jonathan Louis couch, turning it into a mess.

Fortunately, the fire didn’t get much further than that, because the sprinkler system was activated.

But those sprinklers rained down on her television, her bathroom, her closet, and her laundry room, destroying furniture and leaving a layer of dirty, stained water on almost everything.

“The sprinklers were actually able to put out the entire fire, but again there was a lot of damage from the water and smoke,” she says.

Sydney’s luck was particularly bad, as the fire appears to have started just minutes after she left.

The board fell on the couch and ruined it

Water from the sprinklers soaked the rest of her furniture and her TV

Discarded: The board fell on the sofa and ruined it, as water from the nozzles soaked the rest of her furniture and her TV

“The sprinklers were actually able to put out the entire fire, but again there was a lot of damage from the water and smoke,” she says.

She said: 'The fireman said he didn't think it had anything to do with the exhaust, but for some reason the sign got really hot and caught fire'

She said: 'The fireman said he didn't think it had anything to do with the exhaust, but for some reason the sign got really hot and caught fire'

She said: ‘The fireman said he didn’t think it had anything to do with the exhaust, but for some reason the sign got really hot and caught fire’

Relief!  Luckily Sydney was smart enough to have renters insurance to cover the cost of the damage

Relief! Luckily Sydney was smart enough to have renters insurance to cover the cost of the damage

“I texted my friends to say, ‘I’m leaving now’ at 12:04. And the official fire report says the sprinklers in my apartment go off at 12:13. So that was a nine minute difference,” she said.

But she said she had no reason to believe the neon was faulty and came from a well-reviewed Etsy seller.

“I did my research and they had over 10,000 reviews and they were all very good so I thought I could trust this seller and the sign I got,” she said.

But the fire department said he didn’t think it had anything to do with the exhaust, but that for some reason the board got really hot and caught fire and then fell off the wall, fell on my couch and into the couch fire, creating an even bigger fire.’

Fortunately, Sydney was smart enough to have renters insurance to cover the damage, and because her parents live in the building, she had to stay elsewhere.

“And luckily no one got hurt and that’s the most important thing,” she said.

.