Advertisements
Munda Birsi, 57, cooked as she sustained the life-changing injury that nearly killed her (photo, the whistle that nestled in her skull)

Woman, 57, remains BLIND in one eye after the 2.75-inch whistle burst on her pressure cooker and got stuck in her skull

  • Munda Birsi, 57, cooked as she sustained the life-changing injury
  • She left the pressure cooker on the stove while she cooked it and forgot it
  • The whistle was approximately 2.75 inches (7 cm) long and 0.8 inches (2 cm) wide
Advertisements

An Indian woman was blinded in one eye after part of her pressure cooker blew off and nestled in her skull.

Advertisements

Munda Birsi, 57, was cooking as she sustained the life-changing injury that nearly killed her.

She left the pressure cooker on the gas stove while cooking and forgot while cutting hay in her back yard.

Local reports say that the whistle of the pressure cooker burst and pierced her skull next to her left eye.

The whistle, which is 7.75 cm long and 2 cm wide, indicates when the stove is too hot.

Allegedly, Birsi did not hear the whistle scream because it was drowned out by the hay machine she used in the garden.

Advertisements

Munda Birsi, 57, cooked as she sustained the life-changing injury that nearly killed her (photo, the whistle that nestled in her skull)

Munda Birsi, 57, cooked as she sustained the life-changing injury that nearly killed her (photo, the whistle that nestled in her skull)

Ms. Birsi reportedly did not hear the whistle scream because it was drowned out by the hay machine she used in the garden

Ms. Birsi reportedly did not hear the whistle scream because it was drowned out by the hay machine she used in the garden

Ms. Birsi reportedly did not hear the whistle scream because it was drowned out by the hay machine she used in the garden

She was taken to a local hospital and received first aid – but doctors recommended being brought to a better-equipped super-specialized hospital.

Advertisements

That is why she was transferred to a hospital 56 km north of her village in the Khunti district, Jharkhand – a state in eastern India.

Doctors could not see the bullet-sized metal from the outside – only a CT scan revealed that it was stuck deep in her skull.

Doctors then performed surgery to remove the whistle on September 6, two days after the bizarre injury.

Birdi was discharged the following day from the Bhagwan Mahavir Medica Super Specialty Hospital, Ranchi.

Dr. Ashish Joy Soren, who led the proceedings, said they first had to release the area around the whistle. It is not clear how long it took.

Advertisements

They did this by tackling adhesions – scar tissue bands that develop after an injury – around the whistle.

Dr. Soren added that they also had to ensure that no bleeding occurred while removing the metal object.

The whistle, which is 7.75 cm long and 2 cm wide, indicates when the stove is too hot. Mrs Birsi reportedly did not hear the whistle scream because it was drowned out by the hay machine she used in the garden (photo, scans of her injury)

The whistle, which is 7.75 cm long and 2 cm wide, indicates when the stove is too hot. Mrs Birsi reportedly did not hear the whistle scream because it was drowned out by the hay machine she used in the garden (photo, scans of her injury)

The whistle, which is 7.75 cm long and 2 cm wide, indicates when the stove is too hot. Mrs Birsi reportedly did not hear the whistle scream because it was drowned out by the hay machine she used in the garden (photo, scans of her injury)

THE WOMAN HAS REMOVED THE COVER OF A PRESSURE TUBE FROM HER SKULL

Advertisements

Surgeons in July had to remove the lid of a pressure cooker that was embedded in the skull of a woman.

Rich Kaur reportedly woke up in the early hours of July 23 to use the bathroom at her home in Mumbai.

Mrs. Kaur, who is visually impaired, slipped on cutlery lying on the floor outside of her kitchen, causing her to fall and hit her head on the stove.

The whistle on the lid, indicating when the stove is too hot, penetrated her skull and got stuck in her brain, according to local media.

Mrs. Kaur was rushed to the hospital where surgeons spent two hours removing the lid. It is said to be stable, aware and talking.

Advertisements

According to reports, the team of doctors carried out backup plans in case something went wrong and blood flowed out.

& # 39; It was a bit difficult to pull the whistle because powerful maneuver would damage the surrounding tissues. & # 39;

Dr. Soren added: & # 39; We carefully pulled the flute and wrapped the wound opening with the pieces of gauze.

& # 39; The operation was successful and we were able to save the woman's life, although her left eye could not be saved. & # 39;

Dr. Anindya Anuradha, head of the ophthalmology department, said: & The woman cooked dal (pulses) in a pressure cooker.

Advertisements

& # 39; After she put the stove on the gas stove, she was mowing hay with the help of a hay machine in her back yard.

& # 39; The whistle sound of the pressure cooker was drowned by the noisy hay machine. After an hour, she remembered the stove and hurried to the kitchen.

& # 39; And while she took the pressure cooker off the gas stove, the boiling steam in the stove burst with full force into the whistle, penetrated the woman's face and got stuck deep into the skull bone that separates the eyes from the brain. & # 39;

. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) health