A Queensland mother has revealed the shocking string of events that led to her nearly losing her thumb after getting her nails done at her local salon.
Beth Jozey, 25, contracted a horrific infection in her thumb and ended up in the hospital, she now swears she’ll only wear $5 Kmart press on nails.
“My thumb was almost amputated and now I only wear Kmart press on nails,” she said.
Scroll down for video
The 25-year-old mother took to TikTok to share her shocking story of nearly losing her thumb after getting her nails done due to poor hygiene standards
Ms Jozey had tried out a new nail salon in 2020 just before the lockdown when she contracted the horrific infection.
The salon was “beautiful” and “really clean,” which made her appear unsuspecting of the effects of her nail treatment.
However, she noted that it “all started going downhill” when she noticed the nail technicians using equipment without sanitizing it.
“I noticed they would get equipment from other bays. My best friend sat next to me and they used a tool on her and then immediately traded it to me,” she said.
‘I didn’t really like it. I just thought, “Okay, maybe it’s okay, I mean, I don’t know”, I didn’t want to be that person who said, “oh sorry, can you please wash that”.
She explained that she probably would have been more aware of cleanliness after the pandemic, but since this was in 2020, she didn’t think much about sanitizing.
“We were not yet in the mindset as a society to have to be so clean because of Covid,” she said.
The mother got paronychia, an infection of the nail bed because her nail technician didn’t sanitize her equipment before using it
The next evening, Mrs. Jozey noticed that all her nails were ‘starting to really hurt’, especially her thumb.
“On one thumb it was so painful in this once corner, it felt like it was an ingrown nail, I couldn’t even put pressure on it but I was like ‘they all hurt so I’ll see how it goes’ .
She said she didn’t want to overreact because “there was nothing wrong with it, except it was a little red and really hurt.”
Ms Jozey explained that she was a new mother at the time, her daughter was only three months old.
What is paronychia and what are the symptoms?
What is paronychia?
* Paronychia is an infection of the nail that can occur in the finger or toenails
* It occurs after trauma, irritation or infection and is usually caused when bacteria invade the damaged skin around the cuticle or nail fold and cause an infection
* It can be cured by a course of antibiotics or by draining the nail of the infection
* Those who are exposed to irritants, bite their nails, work with water, or have certain skin conditions are more susceptible to the infection
What are the symptoms of paronychia?
- Pain, swelling and tenderness around the nail
- Skin that is red and warm
- Pus under the skin or a pus-filled abscess
(source: Cleveland Clinic)
“I didn’t have time to worry about what my nail was doing. I barely had time to finish them,” she emphasized.
Her mother was shocked when she noticed Mrs Jozey’s nail two days later and urged her to go to the hospital.
“Not until I went to get a mug of coffee on my mom’s outdoor table and I literally dropped it because the pressure of grabbing the mug on my thumb was too much,” she said.
‘I’ve never felt anything like it. I just dropped the mug and it broke and my mom said “no you need to go to the hospital”.
‘I get in the car and drive myself to the hospital with one thumb, it was certainly not responsible driving.’
“At this point I started to feel sick. I’m starting to accept the fact that this is probably serious, and I’m starting to feel uncomfortable.”
The mother was admitted immediately after the nurse in triage found out how high her temperature was, she was immediately diagnosed with paronychia, an infection of the nail bed.
The mother revealed that he had to be transferred to another hospital because the infection was so severe that he could not be drained with a syringe.
“They did my blood count and it came back as such a serious infection that they immediately took me to the other hospital for surgery and there, to remove this thing from my thumb,” she said.
“I went in and had surgery and it was all good. They told me afterwards that they ended up draining an absurd amount of pus and infection from my thumb.
“They said if I left it on going to the hospital any longer it would have gotten into my bone, good in my blood flow and I would have ended up losing my thumb because it would have affected my bone.”
The surgeons told the mother she would have lost her thumb if she had left it in the hospital any longer, because the infection was so severe it had almost spread to her bone.
The mother warned her followers never to let nail technicians use unclean utensils on your nails.
“The moral of this story is that now I only wear press on nails because I’m never going to get my nails done again, not even in my favorite place, it’s too vague,” she said.
“If you ever see them grab equipment from another station, say, ‘homegirl, can you please sanitize that,’ because you could lose your thumb like I almost did.”
The woman’s followers were shocked by the revelation.
“You should have sued them,” a woman said.
“How come so many Australian salons are so unsanitary it drives me crazy they get away with it,” wrote another.
That’s why I do my own nails at home! There are so many dodgy places these days,” wrote another.