A woman woke up with a black eye and a swollen face after being scratched by her cat.
Heidi Plamping, from Canada, tried to calm her cat, Storm, who was crazy about a big dog.
When three-year-old Storm fled on her head, her claws caught Mrs. Plamping's skin and drew blood.
When the 42-year-old's eyes and hands began to swell three days later, she found dust mite to blame.
But her face worsened in the next few days, to the point where it was covered with rash. She received pills from her doctor and was sent home.
However, they did not work and she had to go to the hospital every day for four days to get a drop of antibiotics to fight her swelling.
Doctors warned her that cat scratches can be very serious – cats wear and can transfer bacteria, which in very rare cases can lead to life-threatening complications such as sepsis.
Heidi Plamping, 42, from Cochrane, Alberta, Canada, tried to calm her cat, Storm, scratching her face and arm as she climbed her head for safety
Mrs. Plamping's face swelled and became covered with a rash that got worse over the course of a few days. On the photo, on May 8, six days after being scratched
Mrs. Plamping had to go to the hospital every day to get an antibiotic drip. Pictured on May 10
When three-year-old Storm was fleeing Mrs. Plamping to take refuge, her claws caught Mrs. Plamping's skin ten times. Pictured, cuts her face
CAN YOU GET AN INFECTION FROM A CAT CRATCH?
Cat-scratch disease (CSD) is a bacterial infection that is spread by cats.
The disease spreads when an infected cat licks someone's open wound, or a person bites or scratches hard enough to break the surface of the skin.
About three to fourteen days after the skin is broken, a mild infection can occur at the site of the scratch or biting.
The infected area may appear swollen and red with round, raised lesions and may have pus. The infection can feel warm or painful. A person with CSD can also have a fever, headache, poor appetite and exhaustion.
Later, the person's closest lymph nodes to the original scratch or bite can become swollen, soft or painful.
CSD is caused by a bacterium called Bartonella henselae. About 40% of cats wear B. henselae at some point in their lives, and it is more common in kittens.
Although rare, CSD can cause people to have serious complications. CSD can affect the brain, eyes, heart or other internal organs.
These rare complications, which require intensive treatment, are more common in children under the age of five and people with a weakened immune system.
Mrs. Plamping, a digital marketing consultant living in Cochrane, Alberta, had traveled with Storm to British Columbia in early May to stay with friends and work for the summer.
When they arrived on May 2, Mrs. Plamping let Storm lead as she had done countless times before when they visited the unknown friend.
However, since their last visit, Plamping's friend had two German dogs who were very friendly and excited to meet Storm.
The big dogs scared her and she started to confuse her when she panicked to get away.
Mrs. Plamping said: & # 39; Their dogs are very friendly, but my cat has never met a dog, so when one of them turned up, she panicked. & # 39;
Mrs. Plamping rushed to the rescue of Storm and began to untangle her beloved cat as she climbed her face to the safety of her head.
Mrs. Plamping said: & # 39; Finally I picked her up so I could bring her inside. She was so scared that she climbed my face to my head as I screamed murder and brought her inside. & # 39;
As a result, Plamping had seven scratches on her face and three more on her hand and arm.
When she woke up the next day with a black eye, Plamping no longer thought of her injuries.
But on May 5, Mrs. Plamping had a swollen hand and eyes. Because she had sensitive skin, she thought she might get a reaction to all the dust that might have been present in her new environment.
Storm, photographed, was panicked by a dog from the German Dog at Mrs. Plamping's friend's house
When Mrs. Plamping woke up the day after the scratches with a black eye (photo), but didn't think much about her injuries
But on May 5, Plamping had a swollen hand and eyes (pictured). Because she had sensitive skin, she thought she might have a reaction to dust mites
On May 7, pictured, Mrs. Plamping's face was considerably swollen and covered with rash, so she went back to the doctor she had seen the day before
Mrs. Plamping said: & # 39; When they had to order antibiotics that had to enter me through an infusion, I knew it was serious & # 39 ;. Pictured, an IV line to administer the medication
She said: & # 39; I have not had a bad skin reaction in a long time, but since high school I have had sensitive skin.
& # 39; I have had skin rashes, detergents, perfumes and dyes all my life. & # 39;
The following day her symptoms were worse and she went to a doctor where she was given pills and told to come back the next day if her condition deteriorated.
On May 7, Mrs. Plamping's face was considerably swollen and covered with rash, so she went back to the shocked doctor.
Mrs. Plamping said: “This time they were a little confused by my face and told me how badly cat scratches and bites can get. It can lead to sepsis and even death. & # 39;
Cats have bacteria, one of which, Bartonella henselae, can cause an infection in a human when it is passed through a deep cut or bite.
About three to fourteen days after the skin is broken, a mild infection can occur at the site of the injury and then further swell, become red and painful.
Known as & # 39; cat-scratch disease & # 39 ;, it can become deadly if not treated quickly. The CDC and NHS are quick to assure people that the dangerous cases are generally rare.
But other experts warn that cat bites and scratches can be devastating in terms of infection and permanent disability if they are not treated.
According to official figures, around 12,000 Americans get a scratch condition every year. It is not certain how many Brits will develop the infection.
Ms. Plamping, a digital marketing consultant, said it was not the first week in British Columbia she had hoped for. In the photo, on 13 May when the swelling and skin rash were almost gone
Mrs. Plamping, pictured before the drama, said that if she had to save Storm again, she would
Mrs. Plamping has had Storm since she was four months old and said that this incident did not change their relationship. Pictured together
Mrs. Plamping was placed on an infusion and had to return for four days every day to receive another dose of antibiotics.
She said: & They said it often happens that scratches or bites from cats cause an infection. When they had to order antibiotics that had to enter me through an infusion, I knew it was serious, but I was just grateful that we were heading in the right direction to make me better.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU ARE BITE BY AN ANIMAL?
Immediately clean the wound by holding warm tap water over it for a few minutes, even if the skin does not look broken.
Remove dirt or foreign objects from the wound.
Encourage the wound to bleed slightly by gently squeezing (unless you are already bleeding free).
If there is severe bleeding, place a clean dressing or sterile dressing over the wound and apply pressure.
Dry the wound and cover with a clean plaster or patch.
Seek medical advice unless the wound is very small.
For serious injuries, go to A & E.
& # 39; The swelling decreased the following day, but a rash spread across my arm.
& # 39; The doctor sketched my arm where the rash was and told me to go to the emergency room if it were to continue that night. Fortunately it did not and once the swelling of the hand decreased, they eventually gave me prednisone (a medicine to calm the immune system) to help with the swelling and rash in my face. & # 39;
The medication made Mrs. Plamping nauseous and sleepy, and she said: & I started to get angry when my face was so tight and itchy.
& # 39; I knew it would get better, but I became impatient. So it was not exactly the first week in British Columbia that I had introduced myself. & # 39;
After her ordeal, animal friend Plamping said that Storm had watched her for a few days as the swelling decreased.
But the two immediately forgave each other and Mrs. Plamping said she would not hesitate to save Storm again if the situation arose.
Mrs. Plamping has had Storm since she was four months old and said that this incident did not change their relationship, but Storm is now more wary to go outside.
& # 39; Storm is very reluctant to leave the cabin. At home in Alberta she goes outside freely. Here she is nervous about the dog, & Mrs. Plamping said.
& # 39; If I had to protect her again and pick her up, I would. I do not have children. She is my baby. My fur baby.
& # 39; I didn't know cat crabs were so contagious. If you scratch or bite a cat, see your doctor immediately. & # 39;
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) health (t) canada