A young woman was left with unbearable burns on her derriere after a radiator pipe exploded.
Southampton-born Charlotte Beeton, 27, had an epileptic fit while washing her hair and landing on a radiator pipe, which covered her lower body with boiling water.
Fortunately, her fiancé, David Channel, 28, heard the commotion and was able to get Charlotte to safety before she was further insulted.
But the finance worker was left with first- and third-degree burns to her buttocks – something she had to undergo a skin transplant for five hours, removing the skin from her thighs.
Charlotte Beeton (photo), 27, from Southampton, had an epileptic fit while washing her hair and landing on a radiator pipe, which covered her lower body with boiling water
The financial worker had third-degree burns on her buttocks. Pictured, burns from the radiator pipe
After recovering from her ordeal in the hospital for three weeks, Charlotte was allowed to go home and has since learned to adapt to her new look.
She decided to share her photos for the first time in an effort to raise awareness of the severity of injuries sustained during an epileptic seizure.
The finance officer added, “I was washing my hair one minute and looking at several paramedics the next.
“Because the size of the burns had damaged all the nerves in my buttocks, I didn’t feel any pain at first.
Charlotte’s fiancé, David Channel, 28, heard the commotion and was able to get Charlotte to safety before she was further insulted. Depicted together
Charlotte needed a skin graft for five hours, taking the skin off her thighs. Pictured, her burns heal slowly
After recovering from her ordeal in the hospital for three weeks, Charlotte was allowed to go home and has since learned to adapt to her new look. Shown, the third degree of the radiator pipe is lit.
The radiator pipe Charlotte fell on was not faulty, but when her unconscious body fell on it, it moved and started to squirt out the water. Pictured, third degree burns
Charlotte was diagnosed with 13-year epilepsy, but had never suffered burns before. In the photo, Charlotte’s third degree burns through the radiator pipe
“I was transferred from Southampton General Hospital to Salisbury District Hospital because they have a specialist burn department.
“Once I realized I needed to have surgery, I started to panic, I was diagnosed with 13 year epilepsy but had never been burned before.
“After removing the skin from my thighs and covering my burns, I spent another three weeks in the hospital, which was one of the worst weeks of my life.
“I was in pain, even though I have a high pain threshold, it was not like I had experienced before.
Charlotte (photo) said she was ‘very lucky’ that she was taken to safety because it could have been much worse
Charlotte decided to share her images for the first time in an effort to raise awareness about the severity of injuries that can be sustained during an epileptic seizure. Pictured, third degree burns from the radiator pipe
Part of Charlotte’s skin was removed from her thighs and placed on her burns (photo left and right)
The 27-year-old damaged all the nerves in her buttocks from the extent of the burns, so didn’t feel any pain at first. Depicted, the third degree is lit.
Charlotte spent three weeks in the hospital, which she said was “some of the worst weeks of my life.” Pictured, Charlotte’s bottom tied
“I couldn’t lie on my back and had to change the bandage regularly, which was painfully painful.”
Fortunately, after the first surgery, Charlotte didn’t need any further skin transplants, but says the impact of the accident in May 2018 still affects her daily life.
She added, “It affected my mental health because it took a while to accept the scars on my lower body.
“I’ve never shown anyone, except my close family and friends, the graphics of my accident.
“But I’ve decided to share them now to show others how serious injuries caused by seizures can be.
The 27-year-old said she was “in agony” and described it as nothing like she had experienced before. In the photo, Charlotte’s third degree burns through the radiator pipe
Charlotte has left scars (photo) – and hopes her story will raise the profile for epilepsy
“The radiator pipe I fell on was not faulty, but when my unconscious body fell on it, it moved and started to squirt out the water.
“I’m very lucky to have been brought to safety, because it could have been much worse.”
Charlotte is on medication for her epilepsy, but still has clonic tonic seizures every three to four months.
She added, “I don’t know what’s causing my seizures, but I have them every few months.
“I’m so thankful that my fiancé, David, is so supportive because I can’t live independently because I have too great a risk of injuring myself.
“I hope my story raises the profile of epilepsy, because while it’s not uncommon in the UK, there isn’t enough research on drugs.”