Wimbledon finalist Matteo Berrettini becomes latest tennis player to withdraw from Olympics Olympische
Wimbledon finalist Matteo Berrettini becomes latest major tennis player to withdraw from Tokyo Olympics after announcements by Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Simona Halep
- Matteo Berrettini suffered a thigh injury at Wimbledon that has not yet healed
- The well-serving Italian made his first Grand Slam final at SW19 earlier this month
- However, he was defeated by Novak Djokovic in four sets at the All England Club
- Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Simona Halep won’t be playing either
- Federer and Halep are currently treating knee and calf injuries respectively respectievelijk
- Nadal is recovering, while Williams kept tight-lipped about her decision in Tokyo Tokyo Tokio
- Read the latest Olympic news in Tokyo, including schedule, medal table and results here
Wimbledon finalist Matteo Berrettini is the latest high-profile tennis player to retire from the Olympics.
The Italian, who reached his first final at a Grand Slam earlier this month before losing in four sets to Novak Djokovic, has revealed that the thigh injury that had to be tied up at SW19 means he cannot compete in Tokyo.
“I am very sorry to announce my withdrawal from the Tokyo Olympics,” the world number 8 wrote on Instagram.
Matteo Berrettini’s Olympic hopes are over due to the thigh injury he sustained at Wimbledonble
The Italian lost to Novak Djokovic earlier this month at Wimbledon in his first Grand Slam final
“Yesterday I had an MRI to check the injury to my left leg I sustained during Wimbledon and the result was not positive.
‘I won’t be able to participate for a few weeks and will have to rest. Representing Italy is a huge honor and I am devastated at not being able to play the Olympics.
“I wish all Italian athletes the best of luck, I will support you from a distance but with all my heart.”
The Italian National Olympic Committee has said they cannot call a replacement for Berrettini as the deadline for registering participants passed on Friday.
Berrettini will be a big miss in men’s singles along with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal
Simona Halep and Serena Williams are the biggest absentees in women’s singles
Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Simona Halep are just some of the household names who have announced they will not be competing in the Japanese capital.
Federer and Halep are currently dealing with knee and calf injuries, respectively.
Nadal chose to miss both Wimbledon and the Olympics to recuperate after a rare defeat at the French Open, while Williams declined to comment on her reasons for not playing at the Games.