The former head of the William Tyrrell investigation, Gary Jubelin, has lost an appeal against criminal convictions for illegally recording conversations with a person interested in the case.
But the ex-detective said on Friday that he wouldn’t be able to live with himself if he hadn’t gone ‘hard’ in the search for the missing toddler.
Jubelin said outside of Parramatta court that he was ‘disappointed’ with the result, but insisted that the investigation into the child’s disappearance should continue in 2014.
“The court says I’ve been too hard to find out what happened to William Tyrrell … (but) I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I did anything less,” Jubelin said.
Gary Jubelin (above, on Friday) showed ‘no remorse’ for illegally including a one-time individual of interest in the William Tyrrell investigation, a District Court judge said.
William Tyrrell (left) disappeared from his foster grandmother’s home in Kendall on September 12, 2014, at the age of three and has never been found. Jubelin illegally captured Paul Savage (right), a one-time person of interest in the investigation who has consistently denied any role in the boy’s disappearance
‘I stick with what I did. I’m clearly disappointed, but I’ll leave it at that.
“Unfortunately, we still don’t know what happened to William Tyrrell.”
Tyrrell’s disappearance is one of Australia’s most lengthy investigations into a missing child.
The three-year-old, dressed in a Spiderman suit, disappeared from his foster grandmother’s home on the north coast of NSW on September 12, 2014.
‘I do not accept … that (Jubelin) recorded the conversations to protect his legitimate interests
Jubelin was the head of Strike Force Rosann, the special unit for finding the missing boy, for most of his existence.
The NSW detective resigned from the police force last year after being expelled from Tyrrell’s case in March on allegations of wrongdoing.
After a 10-day hearing this year, Jubelin was found guilty in April of illegally recording four conversations with Paul Savage in 2017 and 2018, and was fined $ 10,000.
Mr. Savage had lived on the same North Coast NSW street as then three-year-old William when he went missing in September 2014.
He became a person of interest in the case, but has consistently denied any role in the kidnapping of the boy, nor is he a topical subject of the police investigation.
Jubelin’s attorney Margaret Cunneen SC told the District Court that the veteran agent had not violated the older man’s privacy during the first three phone calls, because the NSW Supreme Court had already issued orders allowing police to install eavesdropping equipment in his home.
The fourth tape was made in December 2018 when Mr. Savage invited Jubelin to his home after the warrants expired.
But the Crown argued that acquitting the high-profile former detective could give any police officer the right to bypass the eavesdropping law.
A visibly disappointed Jubelin was flanked by supporters outside the Parramatta District Court today after losing his appeal
Jubelin supporters Mark and Faye Leveson – the parents of the late Matthew Leveson – visited court in western Sydney on Friday
Crown Representative John Bowers said the footage was part of an ongoing investigation and was made for operational reasons.
“In those circumstances, there is no room for him to rely on the defense he had to put forward, as it was reasonably necessary to protect his personal legitimate interests,” Bowers told the court in August.
Judge Antony Townsden dismissed Jubelin’s appeal today.
“In a democratic society, those placed in a position of authority have a duty to exercise their power lawfully,” Judge Townsden told the court.
“Appellant failed to do this.”
The judge also said that despite showing good character before, the perpetrator had shown “no remorse” and maintained his innocence throughout the proceedings.
“I do not accept … that (Jubelin) recorded the conversations to protect his legitimate interests,” he said.