EXCLUSIVE: Wigan players will NOT be paid their monthly wages today, despite facing high-flying Brentford in a pivotal championship match tomorrow, as they want to stay up despite the club plunging into administration
- Wigan players have been informed that they will not receive their salary this month
- The club went into administration this week, accusing the coronavirus pandemic
- They could only receive 20 percent of their salary if paid
- The Lactics will face Brentford on Saturday and will battle to stay up
Wigan players have received an email saying they will not receive their wages on Friday after the club’s switch to administration.
Players have received an email – which has been seen by Sportsmail – from the club’s human resources department saying ‘the companies cannot process payroll in time for tomorrow’s payday’.
When and if players are actually paid, it is believed that they can only receive 20 percent of their monthly wages.
Wigan stars have been told they will not be paid this month after the club goes into administration
The players could only receive 20 percent of their salary if they are finally paid out
The notice to the players states that a meeting will be held on Friday with the team that will be updated soon.
Wigan will face Brentford in the championship on Saturday, but players are understandably at a disadvantage for not receiving a salary.
News broke out that Wigan was placed in administration on Wednesday after their 3-0 win over Stoke that strengthened their hopes of survival. But they’ve now been dealt a massive blow as they get a 12-point deduction in the championship if they finish outside the bottom three.
If the Lactics are sent automatically, the penalty will be applied at the start of their League One campaign next season.
The club’s ownership has recently changed hands, with the Next Leader Fund taking control of its previous owners International Entertainment Corporation, a Hong Kong-based company
The Lactics defeated Manchester City and won their first FA Cup trophy in 2013
A joint statement by Begbies Traynor administrators Paul Stanley, Gerald Krasner and Dean Watson said their focus was on finding interested parties to save Wigan.
“Our immediate goals are to ensure that the club completes all its matches and urgently find interested parties to save Wigan and the jobs of the people who work for the club.
“When a club comes into this position, it is always serious. We now need to get all the information together. ‘
Wigan has to fight for their existence, as drivers admit that the situation is ‘serious’
Wigan won the FA Cup in 2013 and has been Premier League mainstays for a number of seasons, but has dropped to League One in recent years. Now they are fighting for their survival as a club.
Stanley told BBC Radio Manchester that the problems faced by the club may have to do with the coronavirus pandemic that caused financial difficulties for many EFL clubs after football was suspended in March.
“The funding that would come from the owners did not,” he said. “I have had no contact with the owners and I don’t know why it didn’t come in. It may have to do with coronavirus. ”
Former Leeds Utd chairman Gerald Krasner is tasked with finding investments for Wigan
Krasner, meanwhile, warned that the situation could be “as bad as Bury,” who was kicked out of the Football League last year after she went into financial turmoil.
He said there was no prospect of the owners, Next Leader Fund, to bet ‘one cent’ after the club’s purchase last month. International Entertainment Corporation, led by professional poker player Stanley Choi, sold their stake for £ 17.5 million last month.
“A lot of incredible things will come out when we get into the administration,” he said. “If we don’t fix it and sell it, yes, it’s as bad as Bury. The ultimate sanction is liquidation.
‘I think four weeks (from takeover to administration) is a record that will last for a while. I don’t think coronavirus helps. Whether that made the owner’s decision not to put any money in, I don’t know.