Wife jokingly sent daughter ‘are you still alive?’ text before finding her death from an accidental overdose
Mother jokingly texted her 22-year-old daughter “are you alive” before she saw her body sprawled across her bed after accidentally taking an overdose of anti-anxiety medication, according to an investigation.
- Genina Monaghan had taken the day off to go to a concert, which was canceled
- Her mother came back from town and texted ‘live you’ thinking she was in bed
- The Oxfordshire court heard that she later found her body in her bedroom
A mother sent her daughter a joke asking if she was still alive after spending the day at home before finding her body in her room.
Sales associate Genina Monaghan had originally taken the day off to attend a My Chemical Romance concert in Milton Keynes, which was later canceled due to the pandemic.
Believing her daughter was having ‘a bed day’ after the performance was postponed, mom Maria Marshall texted her at 4pm asking ‘are you alive?’
Genina Monaghan, 22, was not responded to in her bedroom by her mother, Maria Marshall
She later found her 22-year-old daughter’s body in her room and called 999.
Despite the best efforts of the emergency services, she was pronounced dead, the Oxford inquest was told.
Devastated mother Maria Marshall told the procedure: “In the weeks before her death, Genina was ill several times.
She told me it had to do with her gallbladder problems. She occasionally vomited because of her gallstones, the most recent being on June 16.
The music lover had seen My Chemical Romance the day she died, but the show was canceled due to Covid
She hadn’t sought treatment because she didn’t want to talk to her doctor about losing weight – it upset her.
‘The day before she died, she had a stomach ache, she was lying on the couch and I went to the store because she asked for chocolate. Every now and then she would call me into the living room to stroke and pet her head.
The next morning, I had a delivery person deliver decorations for Genina’s bedroom and at one point I went into town.
‘When I got back she was still in her room, which was not unusual. At 4:45 PM I turned on the oven for dinner and sent a text message saying ‘are you still alive’ thinking she was just having a bed day.
Genina Monaghan’s body was found by her mother in her bedroom by her mother
“I found her lying on her back and didn’t respond, I called 999, but I knew she was dead.”
The coroner learned that Genina had not wanted to visit her doctor about her stomach ache because she did not want to be told that she had not lost weight.
Joanna Coleman, assistant coroner for Oxfordshire, concluded that the young woman had died of an accidental overdose, after a post-mortem study determined that she had died of propranolol toxicity.
She said, “It was a drug-related death.”