Who should I notify if I move?

Moving is often seen as one of the most stressful things a person can do.

The huge investment, both financial and emotional, can take its toll, especially if the process takes months.

Therefore, anything that helps reduce some of the stress along the way can be immensely helpful. This includes discussing some practicalities beforehand and having a list of who to notify when you move can help.

We take a look at some of the organizations and companies you may need to contact when you move

We take a look at some of the organizations and companies you may need to contact when you move

Dozens of businesses will need to know your new address, whether it’s an insurer that can use it to calculate your insurance premiums or a retailer that needs to know where to send the clothes you’ve ordered online.

Without updating them, you may end up with more headaches from moving than you expected.

North London estate agent Jeremy Leaf said: ‘When you go home, it’s essential to plan ahead. Moving day can come your way very quickly, especially if there is a short time between exchange and delivery.

‘Building insurance is the most important thing that needs to be arranged for your new home once you have exchanged contracts.

Confirm your move date with your moving company and make a list of who to notify about your upcoming change of address – the electoral roll, the DVLA, Amazon and other delivery companies, especially grocery delivery companies. The last thing you want is for your orders to end up at your ‘old’ address after you move.

‘Don’t forget to change your municipal tax, the utility companies must also be informed and pass on the final meter readings. The more you plan ahead, the smoother the process will be.’

A checklist for who to inform when changing addresses can help alleviate the stress of moving

A checklist for who to inform when changing addresses can help alleviate the stress of moving

A checklist for who to inform when changing addresses can help alleviate the stress of moving

Tom Parker, of real estate website Zoopla, agreed: “Moving can be overwhelming with so much to do. When it comes to reporting organizations, it’s best to divide it into digestible categories such as work, household, and vehicle.

‘Informing your employer is a top priority, especially if your payslips are sent to your home. If you own a vehicle, be sure to update your driver’s license, insurance companies, and vehicle log.

‘Make sure you also inform authorities such as broadband, utilities, insurers and municipal taxes. Finally, don’t forget the little things like magazine subscriptions and store cards.’

Here’s a look at some of the organizations and companies you may need to contact if you’re moving.

employment opportunities

Perhaps one of the most important and probably most overlooked places to be notified of your change of address is HMRC, who need to know for tax purposes.

Your employer also needs to know when you change address for your payroll so that he can update your contact details.

In addition, your Citizen service number helps the government to identify you and is used by organizations such as the DVLA and HMRC so your new address must be included.


There are several companies that provide services to your household and should be aware of your move so that they can update your contact information.

In some cases, you may continue to pay for a service in your previous home that you no longer use if you don’t update these companies.

They include your cable or satellite provider, your telephone and broadband company. It is also important to update your TV license contact details, which is possible up to three months before a move.


You can update DVLA via its website and within two to four weeks you should receive an updated license and V5C logbook documents for your car. Fail to update the log can lead to a fine of up to €1,000.

You must also notify the provider of your car breakdown cover and your car insurer.


Most insurers take into account zip codes when calculating premiums and insurance costs, so they must report your change of address.

You may need to contact the insurers that provide coverage for contents, health, life, travel, and your pets.


In addition to your health insurer, you must also pass on your address to other healthcare institutions.

For example, if you change doctors when you move house, you must notify your old doctor so that your medical records can be forwarded to your new doctor. This can also apply to your dentists and opticians.


Your gas, electricity and water suppliers need your updated contact details, even if you leave them at the old premises and hire new suppliers.

It can take a few days for energy suppliers to update your information, so it’s worth checking with your suppliers before you move. However, you may be able to move your deal to your new home.

Make sure to measure your utilities on the day of your move so you can inform your suppliers about this and only pay for the amounts you used.

Royal Mail’s redirection service may be worth considering as all mail sent to your old address will be forwarded to your new address. You can request the diversion up to three months before your move date.


There are several companies and organizations that fall into this category that should know your new contact address.

These include bank and mortgage providers, your retirement providers, loan companies, credit card providers, and store cards. In the event that you are on a state pensionn, the government needs your new data.

Likewise, you should update your address for: municipal tax purposes.

Others include your accountant, because you don’t want important tax documents going to your old address (if you’re not using the mail diversion service). And do not forget Update NS&I with your new address if you put money in premium bonds.