Date of MasterChef’s return to TV to be revealed by Channel 10 following Jock Zonfrillo’s death – as his family gives their blessing to air new series
Channel 10 has announced the premiere date for the new season of MasterChef Australia following the tragic death of Judge Jock Zonfrillo.
Season 15 of the show was due to launch last Monday but was postponed after the Scottish chef, who was appointed judge of the cooking show in late 2019, was found dead in a Melbourne hotel at about 2am by police . Monday.
The series now premieres on Sunday, May 7 at 7:30 p.m.
Channel 10 said in a statement: ‘With the full support of Jock Zonfrillo’s family, MasterChef Australia will air on Sunday 7th May at 7.30pm.
“It is with Jock in our hearts that we cherish this season and remember the charismatic and big-hearted judge and chef we knew and loved. Jock will be remembered in the kitchen of MasterChef Australia for years to come.’
Channel 10 has announced the premiere date for the new season of MasterChef Australia following the tragic death of Judge Jock Zonifrilo
The network added that a special edition of The Sunday Project will pay tribute to Jock from 6:30pm on Sunday before the new series airs.
It read, “With contributions from friends he watched closely, the show will honor Jock by reflecting on his personal and professional life in a celebration of his incredible achievements.”
Production on the 62-episode season wrapped up last month at MasterChef’s Melbourne headquarters in Flemington.
Channel 10 released a statement on its Instagram page that the new series will air next Sunday
The new season reportedly cost “millions” to make, and producers are now looking to make a special “tribute” episode to Zonfrillo before confirming his replacement.
The chef passed away at age 46, leaving behind his third wife, Lauren Fried, and his four children: adult daughters Ava and Sophia, from his first two marriages, and six-year-old Alfie and two-year-old. Isla, with fried.
A Victoria Police spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia: ‘Police went to an address on Lygon Street for a welfare check and found a dead man at around 2am on 1 May.
The death of the 46-year-old man is not considered suspicious. A report is being prepared for the coroner.’
The new season reportedly cost “millions” to make, and producers are now looking to make a special “tribute” episode to Zonfrillo before confirming his replacement
Zonfrillo filmed season 15 alongside fellow judges Melissa Leong and Andy Allen, who both withdrew from their scheduled media interviews following his sudden death.
Allen and Leong were locked in for several TV and radio appearances this week to promote the launch of the culinary contest.
The publicity blitz had already begun Monday morning hours before the network and production company Endemol Shine learned of Zonfrillo’s death.
Angela Bishop, the Channel 10 entertainment reporter, was a guest on Monday night’s The Project — where Zonfrillo was set to appear before his death — and said she’d heard his co-stars were struggling to process the news.
“It’s a loss of a family member here at age 10… (He was) only 46. That’s why this is such shocking news,” Bishop said.
The chef passed away at the age of 46, leaving behind his third wife, Lauren Fried (pictured) and his four children
“As you say, together they would work 16 hours a day for MasterChef. You could not find closer colleagues and confidants.
“They’re devastated. “Broken” is the word described to me. They are trying to process this news.’
Zonfrillo’s MasterChef colleagues didn’t seem to know he died until shortly before the news broke on Monday afternoon, as the publicity machine for the new season wasn’t moving until 11:30 a.m. when Leong posted a countdown to the premiere on her Instagram account.
For confidential support, call Lifeline’s 24-hour crisis support on 13 11 14.
Zonfrillo’s MasterChef colleagues only seemed to know he died shortly before the news broke on Monday afternoon