Many stores are closed for the Thanksgiving holiday, so if you need to do something
Last minute shopping before you invite people over, your best bet is to do it today. This trend started before the pandemic, but since then, many more retailers have decided to keep their doors closed on Thanksgiving and give staff a day off before the rush of Black Friday deals begins the next day.
However, there are some stores that will remain open on Thanksgiving Day. We’ve rounded up the main ones here, but expect a change in opening hours.
Also, opening and closing times can differ from state to state, so it’s a good idea to check with your local store if and when they’ll be open or not. It’s not always easy to see the store’s holiday hours on their website, but if you call the help line or drop by to ask, they should be able to let you know their plans.
These supermarkets will open on Thanksgiving Day
- ACME will close early, usually at 4 p.m.
- HEB will be open from 6 am to 12 pm, the sidewalk will open between 7 and 11 am. The pharmacy will be closed.
- Kroger and Kroger grocery stores (including Ralphs, King Soopers, Fred Meyer, Smith’s and more) will remain open.
- Meijer will be open, but you have to wait for your local store to close early.
- Safeway will be open and most stores will follow their normal opening hours.
- Stop & Shop will maintain its normal opening hours.
- Tom Thumb will close early, usually 4pm.
- The Fresh Market will close early around 3pm.
- Vons will open at 6am but close early at 3pm.
- Wegmans will close early, usually 4pm
- Whole Foods is open, but you need to check how early your local store will close.
These retailers will be open on Thanksgiving
- Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s will remain open with modified hours.
- Big Lots is expected to be open as it was in 2021, typically from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Thanksgiving.
- Dollar General will open some stores on Thanksgiving, but not all.
- Family Dollar will also follow suit.
- Gordmans will open but with reduced hours that vary by store.
- Sears will be open from 6 pm to midnight.
These pharmacies will be open on Thanksgiving:
- CVS will remain open and will adhere to its normal hours.
- Rite Aid will maintain its regular opening hours for most of its stores.
- Walgreens will open at 9 a.m. but will close earlier, with hours varying by store.
Thanksgiving Shopping FAQ
What date is Thanksgiving 2022?
This year, Thanksgiving falls on November 24. This means Black Friday is November 25, although you’ll likely see plenty of deals before the actual day.
Can I shop on Thanksgiving?
As you can see from the list above, there are a few retailers that will be open on Thanksgiving this year. If you want to shop with either of them, you should be able to do so on the day, but always check with your local store for opening hours. If you can’t find this information online, you should be able to get an answer by stopping by the store or calling the customer service help line.
There are some big brands that have chosen to close their doors on Thanksgiving, including Walmart, Costco, Target, and Home Depot. While you won’t be able to set foot in the store, you can shop online and they will reopen early for Black Friday.
What types of stores will be open on Thanksgiving?
All kinds of shops, from outdoor retailers to department stores and grocery stores, will be open on Thanksgiving this year. You can buy a fishing rod, pick up a recipe, buy last-minute groceries, and browse racks of clothing if you want.
How busy are the stores on Thanksgiving?
In the days leading up to Thanksgiving, stores get incredibly busy as people stock up on their holiday essentials. You might be surprised to learn that the Tuesday before Thanksgiving tends to be your busiest shopping day, not Wednesday. Most advice says you should try to do all your shopping the week before, but that’s not always realistic.
If you have to go to the store on Thanksgiving, you should expect to see a lot fewer shoppers. According to the NRF Holiday Consumer Survey, there are 30.6 million potential shoppers on Thanksgiving, which is only 28% of the people expected to shop the next day, Black Friday (108 million ).
Where can I buy food on Thanksgiving?
There are a number of grocery stores that will be open on Thanksgiving, allowing you to pick up any last-minute essentials before you start cooking. Keep in mind that many will close early, so your chances of finding a grocery store that’s still open will drop the later you leave.
Are pharmacies open on Thanksgiving?
It can be a relief to know that some pharmacies will be open on Thanksgiving Day. CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid will be open, for example, with many keeping their regular opening hours. Check with your local store before you head out, as some may close early.
Can I eat out on Thanksgiving?
It’s not just stores that stay open on Thanksgiving: many restaurants and cafes do as well. For example, most Starbucks and Dunkin’ stores will remain open, as will IHOP, McDonald’s, Popeye’s, Applebee’s, TGI Friday’s and more.
When should I avoid driving to the store on Thanksgiving?
Thanksgiving traffic can be a real challenge, but if you’re strategic, you should be able to avoid some of the lines. According to AAA, you should leave in the morning on Thanksgiving and return by 11 a.m. to avoid the worst of the traffic.
The worst time to drive, according to Google data, is between 3 and 4 p.m. on Wednesdays. The same data shows that noon on Thanksgiving Day is the busiest for shopping.