What happens when you eat the death hat mushroom suspected of killing three people in Leongatha?
- Assassin fungus causes severe symptoms
- The fungus will leads to kidney and liver failure
- There is no known cure for the toxin in dead mushrooms.
The death hat mushroom suspected of being the ingredient that tragically killed three Victorians is one of the world’s most poisonous food sources with horrifying effects on the human body when eaten.
A source familiar with the incident said Australian Guardian that the infamous lunch behind the alleged poisoning included a Wellington steak pie as its main course.
The lunchtime dish left three dead and one man fighting for his life.
Deathcap mushrooms are one of the deadliest foods in the world after three people in Victoria died of suspected mushroom poisoning after the dish that fatally killed the victims was revealed to be a Wellington steak pie.
Common recipes for beef wellington pie often call for mushrooms to be included in the meal, with some suggesting chestnuts or wild varieties.
The toxin in the death hat mushroom causes nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea after it is consumed, but the damage to the human body can be much worse.
Nicknamed the silent killer, the fungus toxin known as a-amanitin also damages the liver and kidneys.
The chemical composition of the mushrooms will cause these organs to fail, resulting in the death of the person.
Most people who eat the mushrooms, known as Ammonita phalloides, die within six to 10 days.
Wild mushrooms contain a dangerous toxin that can cause kidney and liver failure, as well as more immediate symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Michael Robertson, a director of Independent Forensic Consulting who has spent years analyzing poisonous substances, said ABC News the harmful effects of the fungus on the human body are not felt instantly.
“It’s a bit like paracetamol in that sense. You can take an overdose of acetaminophen and you can get a little sick for a day and then recover,” said Dr. Robertson.
He said the toxin from the wild mushroom slowly starts to stop the liver from working.
“But what’s happening in the body is it’s poisoning the liver, and that’s when people die,” he said.
The deadly substance in the mushroom prevents a vital chemical in the liver known as RNA polymerase II, which decodes our DNA, from blocking the drug.
The deadly toxin’s strength overwhelms the protein produced by the liver, causing severe illness.
The time it takes before people start to get sick from eating the mushrooms can vary.
Experts say mushrooms are silent killers, as people who have eaten them don’t feel sick until the mushroom toxin, found in the cap, ring, and gills, takes over the person’s body and can cause death.
According New South Wales Healthpeople can report feeling sick for anywhere from half an hour to several hours.
It can also take several days before people report that they are unwell and present at hospitals for emergency care.
The deadly toxin of the fungus is found in the cap and gills of the vegetable. The substance is also found in the ring at the tip of the stem of the mushroom.
There are no known cures to treat people who have eaten wild mushrooms. Kidney and liver treatments are required if the person becomes seriously ill.
Cooking the vegetable will not remove the dangerous toxin from the vegetable. People have been urged to buy mushrooms that are sold in supermarkets.
In 2012, two people died in Canberra after eating mushrooms at a New Year’s Eve dinner.