West Ham’s Jarrod Bowen, 24, faces FA investigation into N-word tweet sent when he was only FIFTEEN, while apologizing for ‘offensive’ and ‘immature’ historical post unearthed online
- Jarrod Bowen has apologized for using a racist term in a historic Twitter post
- The West Ham attacker used the N word on social media when he was 15
- Bowen said the post was ‘offensive’ and ‘immature’ in a statement Friday
- The FA has launched an investigation to determine whether it will take action
West Ham attacker Jarrod Bowen has apologized for using the ‘N word’ on Twitter and admitted he was ‘immature’ after an old social media post resurfaced.
The Football Association has confirmed they are aware of the post, which was posted by Bowen when he was a 15-year-old playing in Hereford’s youth rankings, and has launched an investigation into the matter.
The now deleted message read, ‘That one friend who thinks their (sic) black #N ***** please.’
West Ham’s Jarrod Bowen apologized for using the ‘N word’ in historic Twitter post
The tweet (above) was posted by Bowen when he was 15 and was on the Hereford youth team
Bowen, 24, who has been instrumental in West Ham’s remarkable season, released a statement Friday morning, which read, “ In 2012, when I was a 15-year-old kid, I posted an offensive and immature tweet.
I would like to apologize without reservation for the unacceptable content of that post, especially to anyone associated with West Ham United.
“This is not an example that I want to set and it certainly does not reflect the values and principles that I uphold.”
The FA has launched an investigation to determine whether or not Bowen will face action
West Ham has already spoken to the winger about the post and will handle the matter internally.
The club said: ‘Equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of West Ham United, and our zero tolerance approach to any form of discrimination is embedded throughout the club. The club takes these matters extremely seriously.
As for the tweet from 2012, we spoke with Jarrod and he is aware of the club’s unambiguous attitude in this area. He fully understands the requirements and responsibility placed on him to always act in accordance with the club’s values. This is handled internally. ‘
Bowen could face retroactivity if the FA determines that he was a participant in the game at the time of the tweet.
Leicester’s Hamza Choudhury was fined in 2019 for an ‘offensive’ post he made in 2013
The FA has previously taken action against players for historic social media posts, with Leicester’s Hamza Choudhury fined £ 5,000 in 2019 for ‘hurtful and offensive’ comments when he wrote in 2013, ‘Why are black people so fast? Because the slow ones are in jail. ‘
In 2016, the FA also suspended Watford striker Andre Gray – then at Burnley – for four games after a homophobic post from four years earlier came to light.
Last year, Manchester United striker Edinson Cavani was also banned for three games for using ‘racist language’ in a social media post after a 3-2 win over Southampton.
The 33-year-old Uruguayan used the word ‘negrito’ in an Instagram post following the club’s November 29 win, before removing it and apologizing. He said it was meant to be an expression of affection for a friend.