WhatsNew2Day - Latest News And Breaking Headlines
Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Victoria reports more than 460 cases of coronavirus overnight

Victoria is hit overnight by 466 new cases of coronavirus and 12 people die, including a man in his 30s – Melbourne is warned it faces drug and alcohol shortages

Victoria has reported 466 new cases of coronavirus and 12 new deaths, including a man in his 30s.

Prime Minister Daniel Andrews announced that the state death toll in COVID-19 rose to 193 on Saturday.

The new fatalities include a man in their 30s, two men in their 70s, two men and three women in their 80s, and four women in their 90s. Six deaths have been linked to old-age care.

Andrews said there are now 7,808 active infections in the state and 988 of those are health workers – an increase from 140 since Friday.

There are 44 coronavirus patients in intensive care and 29 of them are fighting for their lives on ventilators.

The latest figures come after the state reported 450 infections on Friday, a dramatic drop from the record of 750 cases on Wednesday.

More to come

A protective service official speaks to a man at Southern Cross Station in Melbourne on Friday

A protective service official speaks to a man at Southern Cross Station in Melbourne on Friday

Signage is on display in Melbourne for phase four restriction restrictions, implemented to stop the spread of coronavirus disease

Signage is on display in Melbourne for phase four restriction restrictions, implemented to stop the spread of coronavirus disease

Signage is on display in Melbourne for phase four restriction restrictions, implemented to stop the spread of coronavirus disease

The new infections stem from fears that Victorians would run out of drugs, alcohol and school supplies after large businesses shut down due to the state’s draconian COVID-19 lockdown.

Australia Post was told it could keep 200 outlets at risk of closing open, but the company is struggling to work with just two-thirds of the workforce.

Chief executive Christine Holgate said there could be long delays as demand for supplies soared amid Melbourne’s strict Phase 4 lockdown.

She said demand in coronavirus-affected suburbs had already risen by 200 percent and orders from Chemist Warehouse, Dan Murphy’s and Office Works were under pressure.

Pictured: A lone merchant walks down Swanston Street in Melbourne on Thursday

Pictured: A lone merchant walks down Swanston Street in Melbourne on Thursday

Pictured: A lone merchant walks down Swanston Street in Melbourne on Thursday

Education Minister James Merlino announced on Friday that all Victorian students studying for their VCE will be individually assessed for any adverse effects of COVID-19 – which will then be reflected in their ATAR score.

‘This is quite a special change. So each student is assessed individually, ”he said.

‘We look at things like school closures, we look at things like long-term absence.

‘For example, we look at things like a significant increase in family responsibilities as a result of COVID-19 and of course we look at the mental health and well-being of students during this period.’

Prime Minister Andrews, meanwhile, revealed that health officials in the state were knocking down every confirmed COVID-19 case.

He said 1,000 of the 1,150 cases visited on Thursday were isolated within the rules, while the 150 that were not referred to Victoria Police.

A worker wearing a face mask and protective clothing attends the public at a pop-up COVID-19 testing clinic

A worker wearing a face mask and protective clothing attends the public at a pop-up COVID-19 testing clinic

A worker wearing a face mask and protective clothing attends the public at a pop-up COVID-19 testing clinic

Two men were arrested in connection with the so-called ‘freedom rally’ that will take place on the steps of parliament on Sunday.

The planned protest for Sunday would violate the instructions of the Chief Health Officer, who bans gatherings of more than two people in public places.

The arrests of the men, both 41 years old, came after police searched two homes in Mooroolbark and Chirnside Park on Thursday.

A 41-year-old man from Mooroolbark was charged with sedition. He was released on bail and is expected to appear before the Melbourne Magistrates Court next January.

A 41-year-old man from Chirnside Park was also arrested, but released with intent to sue. He will be charged with the same facts on Friday.

More than 400 people have expressed interest in attending the protest, but police have warned they will be imposing fines of $ 1,652 and making arrests.

“This selfish behavior is absolutely not tolerated,” said Victoria Police.

You can be sure that the Victoria Police will respond and take appropriate action.

Police and soldiers patrol a running track while people train in Melbourne on Fridays

Police and soldiers patrol a running track while people train in Melbourne on Fridays

Police and soldiers patrol a running track while people train in Melbourne on Fridays

Advertisement

.