A 20-year-old college athlete can lose one of his lungs after being admitted to hospital for breathing problems. His family blames vape.
Walker McKnight had just started his first year at a cheerleading scholarship at Florida Atlantic University when he first tried JUUL.
Within a few months he was addicted.
Despite being fit and athletic, the McKnight family says his health started to deteriorate until he was admitted to the hospital in March after receiving & # 39; severe pneumonia & # 39; and deadly adenovirus CBS News.
He was released earlier this month, but is back in the hospital after trouble breathing, and doctors say they are considering removing his left lung.
Walker McKnight, 20, from Orlando, Florida, became addicted to JUUL during his first year at Florida Atlantic University. Pictured: McKnight in the hospital
McKnight began experiencing flu-like symptoms and sinus pressure earlier this year. His family brought him to the hospital in March after he started vomiting and got a high fever. Pictured: McKnight, left and right, with his family
Earlier this year, McKnight began to experience flu-like symptoms and sinus pressure, so he assumed he had a mild infection.
His father said he was going to a hospital near his university in Boca Raton, where doctors sent him home with antibiotics and steroids, CBS News reported.
Days later, however, he started vomiting and got high fever and chills.
McKnight drove to his parents' house in Orlando and his parents brought him to AdventHealth Hospital.
According to CBS News, he was immediately admitted to the ICU and connected to an ECO machine (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation).
The machine pumps and oxygenates a patient's blood outside the body, allowing the heart and lungs to rest.
McKnight was diagnosed with severe pneumonia and adenovirus, which usually causes only a mild illness.
His family says that because his health has gradually declined – what they attribute to his evaporation habit – he couldn't fight the infection.
& # 39; If his lungs had been clean … good health, without this fluid from the vapors, they would have fought this adenovirus, & # 39; said his father. & # 39; He would not have been through what he went through. & # 39;
McKnight was fired after five months, but his father says his son is back in the hospital after he had trouble breathing independently.
McKnight was admitted to the ICU and was diagnosed with & # 39; severe pneumonia & # 39; and adenovirus. Pictured: McKnight in the hospital with family
He recovered and was fired after five months. McKnight was taken over this month and doctors are considering removing his left lung. Pictured, left and right: McKnight with his father and right
& # 39; They now want to remove his left lung & # 39 ;, he told CBS News. & # 39; His left lung has been completely demolished. & # 39;
The family says they are hopeful that he will recover and encourage others to stop.
& # 39; I wouldn't wish anyone this, & # 39; said McKnight's father. & # 39; (Vapen) has turned our family inside out and upside down. & # 39;
His family started one GoFundMe page to cover the costs of his medical expenses. From Thursday afternoon, more than $ 39,000 was collected from a first $ 35,000 target.
It will be okay, not long after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention revealed that it is investigating nearly 200 cases of serious lung disease in 22 states believed to be associated with vapes.
The reported cases occurred between 28 June and 20 August.
No vapor product or composition is linked to all cases and officials said it is not clear whether there is a common cause.
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) health (t) florida