A veterinary clinic issues an urgent warning to dog owners on all four toys to never give their pets — including two common types of bones
A veterinary clinic has issued an urgent warning to dog owners about the four popular toys they should never give their pets.
The River Road Veterinary Clinic in Norwich has released a list of items that pet owners should avoid letting their pets play with after noticing a sharp rise in infections.
Although some minor injuries only affect the mouth, experts said dogs can require surgery if they accidentally swallow parts of the game.
Talking to the sunThe veterinary team has urged dog lovers to stop giving their dogs rawhide to chew.
Although they can keep dogs occupied for hours, experts said rawhide can be especially dangerous if it enters your pet’s digestive system.
The River Road Veterinary Clinic in Norwich has urged pet owners to avoid giving their dogs rawhide bones to chew on as the shards could swell in the stomach. Stock photos
They explained: “Often they are swallowed, absorb water and swell inside the stomach, growing in size and making them unable to pass through the intestines.”
If they swallow a large piece of rawhide, the vet clinic team says surgery is the only procedure to remove it.
Instead, they recommend giving dogs compressed rawhide compresses because they dissolve naturally and do not swell in the stomach.
But rawhide isn’t the only type of bone experts have warned about.
The team also urged pet lovers to think twice before giving dogs marrow bones — the center can be particularly problematic.
They added, “The fatty marrow in the center of the bones can cause pancreatitis in sensitive dogs, so it’s best to get most of the center out before giving it to your pet.”
Furthermore, vets have said that dog owners should not cook marrow bones before giving them to their pets.
This extra step can cause an external cleavage, putting you at risk for removal surgery.
And experts urged dog owners to check the rubber balls carefully before allowing their dogs to play with them – air holes can damage the tongue. Stock photos.
The team also cautioned against giving your dog soft toys that weren’t designed for animals to play with – as they often break down and are accidentally ingested. Stock photos
Before giving your dog bone marrow to chew, experts urge owners to extract the insides — which can cause pancreatitis in sensitive dogs. Stock photos
Four dog toys to avoid
– Rubber balls with vent holes
Soft children’s toys
– Cooked marrow bones with fatty insides
Furthermore, the veterinary team urged dog lovers to carefully inspect any rubber balls they let them play with.
Often, these balls have a single air hole on their side – which runs the risk of sucking itself into your dog’s tongue.
If this happens, it can cut off blood flow and cause serious nerve damage.
However, if your dog likes these types of toys, experts said it’s possible to find some without the risky air puncture.
Finally, the veterinary team said that dogs often have trouble playing with small soft toys.
Because they usually rupture over time, dogs end up eating parts of the toys—leading to life-threatening intestinal blockages.
To avoid this, the team recommended sticking with soft toys designed specifically for dogs — as they’re usually more durable.