Manchester United has the Paul Pogba captain try to convince a quiet star to stay at Old Trafford
- Manchester United starts the Premier League season against Leicester on Friday
- Wantaway midfielder Paul Pogba has been named captain by Chief Jose Mourinho
- The French star wants to leave the club to join the giants of La Liga Barcelona
- But United insists that the 25-year-old midfielder is not for sale at any price
- Pogba could stay with the captaincy when Antonio Valencia returns from an injury
Chris Wheeler for MailOnline
Manchester United has named the captain of Paul Pogba in an attempt to convince him that his future is in Old Trafford.
United has been stunned by Pogba's desire to leave the club and join Barcelona this summer after his agent Mino Raiola reached an agreement with the Catalan giants.
The club insists that the 25-year-old Frenchman is not for sale at any price amid concerns that he has quarreled with José Mourinho.
Manchester United has named the captain of Paul Pogba in an attempt to convince him to stay
After Pogba agreed to face Leicester, José Mourinho responded by handing him the bracelet
The United boss annoyed the Pogba team this summer by criticizing the player's form for United compared to his performances for France by winning the Word Cup in Russia this summer.
But after Pogba agreed to play for United against Leicester in Friday's Premier League opener at Old Trafford after just four days of training, Mourinho responded by handing him the captain's armband.
It will be the eighth time the midfielder has captained United and it is a great vote of confidence in a player who has made it clear that he wants to leave, and Pogba could stay with the captaincy when Antonio Valencia returns from injury.
Whether it's enough to stop him and Raiola shakes to move to Barcelona, remains to be seen, but it is a sign of United's desire to keep his record firm of £ 89 million at all costs.