The East African nation has so far recorded 141 infections since the outbreak was declared on September 20.
Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni extended the lockdown imposed on two districts that are the epicenter of the country’s Ebola outbreak by 21 days, adding that his government’s response to the disease was succeeding.
Entry to and exit from the Mubende and Kassanda districts in central Uganda will be restricted until December 17, the presidency said Saturday night. It was originally imposed for 21 days on October 15, then extended for the same period on November 5.
The extension was “to further maintain the gains in Ebola control that we have made and to protect the rest of the country from continued exposure.”
The government’s efforts against Ebola were succeeding and now two districts have been free of new cases for about two weeks, the president said.
“It may be too soon to celebrate any success, but overall, I have been informed that the outlook is good,” he said in a statement.
The East African nation has so far recorded 141 infections. Fifty-five people have died since the outbreak of the deadly hemorrhagic fever was declared on September 20.
Although the outbreak was gradually being brought under control, the “situation is still fragile,” Museveni said, adding that the country’s weak health system and the circulation of misinformation about the disease remained a challenge.
The Ebola virus circulating in Uganda is the Sudan strain, for which there is no proven vaccine, unlike the more common Zaire strain, which spread during recent outbreaks in the neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).