UEFA ‘vigorously’ defends Super League position as case goes to European Court of Justice

0

UEFA ‘vigorously’ defends its stance against ‘so-called’ Super League after case is referred to European Court of Justice following complaint from founders Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus

  • Barcelona, ​​Real Madrid and Juventus still want a European Super League
  • The three clubs are the only teams that have still signed up for the escape project
  • UEFA could impose sanctions on the trio, including a Champions League ban
  • The case has been referred to the European Court of Justice by a court in Madrid

UEFA has released a statement that they will ‘vigorously’ defend their position against the European Super League, following a complaint filed against both them and FIFA.

The European Court of Justice announced on Monday that it had received a referral from a Madrid court regarding a claim that both governing bodies had acted unlawfully by trying to close the competition and threatening to punish founders Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus .

The controversial plans were announced last month and were originally set to include 12 teams including Manchester City and United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham.

Barcelona and Real have said they will not accept Super League penalties with Juventus

Barcelona and Real have said they will not accept Super League penalties with Juventus

The case of the three founding teams has been referred to the European Court of Justice

The case of the three founding teams has been referred to the European Court of Justice

The case of the three founding teams has been referred to the European Court of Justice

After intense reaction from fans and the media, nine clubs, including all English parties, dropped out of the project, leaving only Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus to refuse to give in to the failed project.

In a statement on UEFA’s Twitter account, it was said: “ UEFA takes note of the announcement by the European Court of Justice of a Madrid court’s referral over the so-called European Super League, despite the repeal of nine of the founders. affiliated clubs. UEFA is confident in its position and will defend it vigorously.

The nine clubs that withdrew from the Super League signed a new peace deal with UEFA on May 7, but the three that did not relinquish the Super League are facing sanctions after disciplinary proceedings were opened on May 25.

Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus issued a joint statement the following day, describing the disciplinary action as ‘incomprehensible’ and that football was heading for an ‘inevitable downfall’ without major reforms.

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin admitted he was baffled by Barcelona, ​​Juventus and Real Madrid’s approach to the European Super League project.

Speaking of the three clubs, Ceferin told Sky Sports Italia: ‘They paralyzed themselves with the approach they took.

“It is strange to read press reports that the three clubs out of thousands of clubs think their idea will save football and that no one else likes it.”

The three clubs are expected to receive strict sanctions from UEFA for upholding their position in the Super League, with a ban on the Champions League competition as one of the options available to the governing body of European football. .

Barcelona president Joan Laporta revealed last week that the Catalans would go to the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) if they were kicked out of the Champions League because of their stance.

The case at the European Court of Justice will aim to determine whether UEFA and FIFA organize exclusive competitions.

A FIFA statement before the case was disclosed said: “ Following an investigation conducted by UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspectors in connection with the so-called ‘Super League’ project, disciplinary proceedings have been initiated against Real Madrid CF, FC Barcelona and Juventus. FC for a possible violation of UEFA legal framework.

“Further information will be made available in due course.”

The escaped trio hit back on attempts to punish them in a statement.

Aleksander Ceferin is baffled by the attitude of Barcelona, ​​Real Madrid and Juventus in the Super League

Juventus and the two Spanish clubs have yet to withdraw from the Super League project

Juventus and the two Spanish clubs have yet to withdraw from the Super League project

Juventus and the two Spanish clubs have yet to withdraw from the Super League project

Their statement read: ‘This alarming stance is a blatant violation of the decision of the courts, which have already issued a clear statement warning UEFA not to take any action that could penalize the founding clubs of the Super League during the judicial proceedings. procedure. are underway.

Rather than exploring ways to modernize football through open dialogue, UEFA expects us to withdraw ongoing legal proceedings that question their monopoly on European football.

Barcelona, ​​Juventus and Real Madrid, all more than a century old, will not accept any form of coercion or unbearable pressure, while remaining strong in their willingness to debate with respect and through dialogue the urgent solutions that football is currently facing. need. .

“Either we reform football or we will have to see its inevitable demise.”

Advertisement



.