UEFA opens disciplinary proceedings against the FA for disorder at Euro 2020 final

UEFA opens disciplinary proceedings against the Football Association over fan disorder and security breaches that marred the Euro 2020 final between England and Italy at Wembley

  • UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against the football association
  • The move follows an investigation by a UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector
  • More than 5,000 ticketless fans have been granted entry to Wembley for the European Championship final
  • Massive breakdown of law and order sent thugs storming into the national stadium

UEFA has launched disciplinary proceedings against the Football Association over the behavior of some English supporters during the Euro 2020 final at Wembley.

Gareth Southgate’s men fell to an embarrassing penalty shoot-out loss to Italy last month, as scenes in and around the ground marred the Three Lions’ second grand final.

The FA ordered an independent investigation to look into the issues and promised to identify those responsible for the ‘outrageous scenes’ at Wembley.

Shameless supporters broke through security to storm Wembley Stadium before the match

The governing body of European football has also launched a disciplinary investigation into the chaotic scenes and has now announced proceedings.

In a statement on Tuesday, UEFA said: “Following an investigation conducted by a UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector into the events involving supporters, which took place in and around the stadium during the UEFA Euro 2020 final match between Italy’s national teams and England, played on July 11, at Wembley Stadium, London, disciplinary proceedings were initiated against the English Football Association for a possible breach of Article 16(2)(h) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations for lack of order or discipline by her supporters.’

UEFA said “further information on this matter will become available in due course”, while the FA waits to see what penalty will be imposed.

Security barriers were compromised after a wave of thugs broke into the national stadium

Security barriers were compromised after a wave of thugs broke into the national stadium

An independent inquiry, chaired by Baroness Casey of Blackstock, has been set up to investigate the condition that overshadowed England’s attempt to win its first major trophy for 55 years.

The review will seek to determine whether the Metropolitan Police, the FA or UEFA were most at fault for the security breaches that allowed thousands of supporters to enter the stadium without tickets.

A statement from the FA read: “A key focus of the findings will be to ensure that such outrageous scenes are never repeated.”

Staff were ‘overwhelmed’ and authorities estimated that there were up to 200,000 in the Wembley area.

An independent review has been set up to investigate the condition during the Euro 2020 final

An independent review has been set up to investigate the condition during the Euro 2020 final

The Metropolitan Police, responsible for public order outside the stadium, denied that they had failed in this task, although witnesses spoke of drug trafficking, drug use, drunken and aggressive behavior, as well as male fans urinating in the street.

The perimeter of the stadium and internal security are the responsibility of the FA.

Those without tickets forced their way through turnstiles due to their sheer numbers and ‘tailgating’ of real cardholders – squeezing through electronic turnstiles behind paying customers, threatening not to draw attention.

Harry Maguire’s father was one of those caught in a stampede with thousands of ticketless fans trying to get into Wembley.

Harry Maguire's father was caught up in a stampede of ticketless fans at the entrance to Wembley stadium's player families for the Euro 2020 final

Harry Maguire’s father was caught up in a stampede of ticketless fans at the entrance to Wembley stadium’s player families for the Euro 2020 final

The 56-year-old suffered broken ribs during the stampede with Harry's agent also in the crush

The 56-year-old suffered broken ribs during the stampede with Harry’s agent also in the crush

Alan Maguire, 56, was due to watch his son, 28, play for England in the tournament final against Italy but suffered horrific injuries when he entered the ground through Gate G, the entrance for the families of the Three Lions stars.

In a video uploaded by The Sun, the footballer’s father was seen in apparent agony as he tried to struggle through bodies at the entrance.

Also involved in crushing bodies was Maguire’s agent, Kenneth Shepherd, before the pair moved on to the area where the players’ families are at Wembley.

Harry confirmed that his father had suffered ‘a few injuries’ when he tried to get into the ground and was relieved that his children or other younger relatives of his were accompanying Alan to the game.

Advertisement

.