UEFA is in talks with UK government on easing coronavirus quarantine restrictions, allowing foreign spectators to attend Euro 2020 knockout stage matches in the UK
UEFA is in talks with the British government to ease coronavirus quarantine restrictions on foreign supporters ahead of the Euro 2020 knockout stage.
The UK has the strictest entry requirements of any host country, requiring visitors from amber-listed countries to be quarantined for 10 days on arrival.
Traveling between the other host countries – especially other European Union countries – is largely possible with evidence of a recent negative PCR test.
Foreign fans can attend Euro 2020 knockout stages in UK if restrictions are relaxed
Wembley will host the semi-finals and final, along with two last-16 matches, and Euro 2020 tournament director Martin Kallen said talks are underway to allow those key matches to be attended by foreign spectators without the need for a lengthy quarantine period.
He told the PA news agency: “We are in dialogue with the government, we are looking at what is possible.
“The Prime Minister and the British Government said June 21 would be the date when everything should basically be back to normal. And when things return to normal, what will the rules say for foreigners coming to the UK who are not on a business trip?
“We are in talks and we hope we can achieve something if the situation allows, that something can happen on that side.
Euro 2020 tournament director Martin Kallen hopes Prime Minister Boris Johnson will allow foreign fans to attend knockout stage matches
“Other countries are more flexible, they expect the negative PCR test which is 72 hours or 48 hours (before arrival) and they come and go, with the exception of countries that have redlisted them in their country.
‘We are looking at how the situation is developing and what can be achieved.’
The government has pledged to make a decision on June 14 on whether the final step of easing restrictions can take place next week.
The greater portability of the Delta variant of Covid-19 – first discovered in India – is a factor that could delay a full reopening as ministers and health officials check whether the recent rise in cases translates into more hospital admissions and deaths.
On Thursday, the government issued updated travel advisories, with Portugal being one of the countries moved from the green list — where no quarantine is required upon return — to the orange list.
The next review of the lists is scheduled for June 28.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson offered to host the entire tournament earlier this year, but Kallen pointed out that the UK’s travel restrictions would have meant UEFA would have been ‘less prosperous’ in terms of spectator attendance had that offer been accepted.
Kallen admitted that UEFA had considered offers from England and Russia to host the tournament.
“(Moving to one host country) was always on the agenda, but more on the theoretical side,” he said.
‘It was discussed at the end of last year. It was a plan B – we had plan B, plan C. Of course we had to, because at the end of last year the situation with the virus was much, much worse than it is now.’
Wembley will host the semi-finals and final of the tournament, along with two last-16 matches
Kallen said he felt that 50 per cent capacity for the semi-finals and final at Wembley was the most likely outcome.
“To get to 100 percent, I can’t tell you today if this is possible,” he said.
“We’ll see on June 21, there are still two and a half weeks (from then) until we have the final, if the situation allows what the UK government has put on the roadmap, to reopen and say “We’re back to normal,” when we get there, maybe the government will say we can go up to 100 percent.
‘The most important criterion is not the stadium, but public transport, because the distance between people is not allowed.
“The London Underground is not yet running at full capacity and that will be the big question, how quickly can they get to 100 percent capacity. A possible scenario is 50 percent.’